Honored Contributor

Re: Gas prices getting higher May 2022

[ Edited ]

@geezerette   I do disagree with part of one of your statements.The unemployment issue. The national unemployment hasn't been this low since the 1940s.  Our rate of those unemployed is low.  But, more people are working at home.  Less gas consumption. I am in Silicon Valley area and all the big companies work from home and go in once a week.  Some every two weeks. 
ETA.  I am not sure if it was you geezer who made comment. I had hard time figuring out who was author.  Lol. It might have another rooster, if it was I am sorry. 

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@RollTide2008 wrote:
@Sooner, there are 9000 unused permits to drill on federal land. Why aren’t they being used? If drilling is being impeded by the courts or the EPA, then those issues should be resolved, but that’s not a problem for all of them.

@RollTide2008 

I'm not @Sooner, but to partially answer your question--it takes billions of dollars to start a new project.  Oil companies don't use all their own money.   Several investment companies will put their money into the projects.  These are very long term and somewhat risky investments.  

But they won't if they can't be assured of a return on their investment.  With the regulations apt to change at the drop of a hat, no one can afford to take the chance their money will vanish if the project can't be completed and go online.

Add to that, many of these investment companies now are under pressure not to invest in fossil fuel projects, no matter what the return may ultimately be.

Also, the current employment environment affects the oil companies too.  These are not only very expensive projects, but they are long term.  And finding the materials and qualified help needed is going to be tough.  Many of the most qualified employees were let go years ago when oil prices were down.

@geezerette Absolutely what you said!  Plus, it is expensive to evaluate and prospect for wells, so like she said, the industry has become very cautious and wary.  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

My nephew paid 6.69 a gallon in California last week....

@Nataliesgramma 

CA has probably the highest prices in the country.  I just wish we had some "advance warning" with increases.

For the past month, my favorite "cheapest" station had gas at $5.49 and holding.  Last week I was tired and passed on stopping.  The other day I made a point to get gas, and the price was $5.65 ... for regular!   Grrr ...  Woman Sad

Shoekitty said,  ain't it the truth!!!  When I look at  the National average price on news, I laugh ,( not a happy laugh) 2, 3 and 4 bucks I am like where, how can this be.  Same with housing.  My friend just put her house on market she bought in 2000 she paid 345,000 for. This is a 1340 sq foot home now listed at over a million.  Who can buy these?  We are lucky, we stay planted here for 32 years and own the house. It has made retirement better

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

Here in California they have been 5.99 to 7 bucks.  I do remember them being in the low 5 dollar range in early 2008.:  also, I remember gas crisis in late 70's when we had to get in gas lines around the block.  You had to go by last numbers in license plates  , odd or even.  So we could only get gas on certain days.    There was limits too. Awful. That's when we had to get locks for gas tanks.  People came in night and siphoned gas out.  Gas went from 60 cents to 1.49.  That I remember.

the rise in gas prices isn't really do to inflation.  The war and a couple other other issues are reason. They will never lower them back to what they were, the jerks. Lol

they are ordering several drilling places to open, those that are already permitted...not new ones.   But as one poster said it takes forever to to actually see the product at the stations.  

The issue started almost 16 months ago, not 3!

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@geezerette   I do disagree with part of one of your statements.The unemployment issue. The national unemployment hasn't been this low since the 1940s.  Our rate of those unemployed is low.  But, more people are working at home.  Less gas consumption. I am in Silicon Valley area and all the big companies work from home and go in once a week.  Some every two weeks. 
ETA.  I am not sure if it was you geezer who made comment. I had hard time figuring out who was author.  Lol. It might have another rooster, if it was I am sorry. 

@shoekitty 

My point about employment was the ability to find qualified employees.  

Like a lot of businesses, the oil business is complicated and you can't hire the bulk of your help just off the streets with no experience.  And since the oil business has been down for so long, many of its employees have had to find other work.  

Once you put a stop in the spigot, so to speak, you can't easily and immediately turn it back on and get gas and oil flowing.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Record-breaking diesel gas prices are a very worrisome part of the overall ominous picture.

The diesel prices are a huge problem. Everything pretty much runs on diesel. Trucks, trains, heavy equipment, ships, and buses, all rely on diesel. Even many of the "electric" locomotives use a diesel generator to power the motors. It'll impact your local taxes as the trucks and vehicles used by your township will now cost more to operate. If you live in snowy country the cost to plow goes up. The cost to move goods via truck, train, or ship goes up. It becomes a big drain on budgets in a hurry. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

@shoekitty 

My point about employment was the ability to find qualified employees.  

Like a lot of businesses, the oil business is complicated and you can't hire the bulk of your help just off the streets with no experience.  And since the oil business has been down for so long, many of its employees have had to find other work.  

Once you put a stop in the spigot, so to speak, you can't easily and immediately turn it back on and get gas and oil flowing.

Shoekitty said:    Well, I agree with you on that.   Employees are very hard to find.  The trades are suffering too, as well as professional jobs.  The qualified good painters, handymen , carpenters, etc are retiring, retired, many in the trades retiring or aging out  said new, younger people don't want the job, or they don't want to train long enough to get raises, lol. Here in Silicon Valley, many took early retirement or went into other jobs, or were forced to move due to pandemic and economic reasons.  Many people do not want to start at the bottom and work up.  They want to start at the top.

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

Here in California they have been 5.99 to 7 bucks.  I do remember them being in the low 5 dollar range in early 2008.:  also, I remember gas crisis in late 70's when we had to get in gas lines around the block.  You had to go by last numbers in license plates  , odd or even.  So we could only get gas on certain days.    There was limits too. Awful. That's when we had to get locks for gas tanks.  People came in night and siphoned gas out.  Gas went from 60 cents to 1.49.  That I remember.

the rise in gas prices isn't really do to inflation.  The war and a couple other other issues are reason. They will never lower them back to what they were, the jerks. Lol

they are ordering several drilling places to open, those that are already permitted...not new ones.   But as one poster said it takes forever to to actually see the product at the stations.  

The issue started almost 16 months ago, not 3!

Shoekitty said @ThinkingOutLoud   What was 16 months ago, not 3.  What did I say was three months ago. Not sure what you are saying, lol.  Just askin

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp 

WOW---in South Texas it went from $2.43 to $3.99 and is now a $4.19 if this is what it is in Texas I hate to see some of the prices in the rest of the country.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I paid $3.79 Wednesday and I passed the same station yesterday and it was $3.89. North metro Atlanta. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?