Honored Contributor

Re: Gas prices getting higher May 2022

[ Edited ]

I just filled up this afternoon for $3.89 at QT in northern Metro Atlanta.  On the way home, I drove past the station I normally go to (BP) and it was $3.99. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It is what it is.  Nowhere in all the grumbling did anyone say they plan to cut back on driving.  

@chrystaltree 

will say it, and I wasn't grumbling. At the present, my driving has been cut back by 100%. Using your logic, those wishing to lose a few pounds? The high food prices will help make that option easier. I see!

Now if we all used that logic, let's get back to what one really needs versus what one wants. And there you have it. A life doing just the bare necessities versus living a life that is actually living your(my)life

Nothing to it. 🙌

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Farmers and ranchers use a lot of diesel fuel.  Add that to the increase in prices for fertilizer, weed control, equipment and repairs.

And then there is the drought in the west and too much rain in the east.

I wouldn't expect food prices to come down any time soon.

@geezerette 

Will just add. And the products still need to get from A to B to C to!  Add another few $$$

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

On Monday, we were able to fill up at a Valero station in VA for $3.94 per gallon.  Most prices ranged from $4.14 along the interstate to $4.44 inside the city.   

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It is what it is.  Nowhere in all the grumbling did anyone say they plan to cut back on driving.  That certainly is one solution to high gas prices.  I'm not there yet but my friends and I have talked about doing some car pooling.  We live close and go to the same places, four of us are retired so carpooling is logical if gas prices get too ridiculous.

@chrystaltree The solution is to not restrain and restrict production in the US.  Which is able to supply our fuel if allowed. 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner, there are 9000 unused permits to drill on federal land. Why aren’t they being used? If drilling is being impeded by the courts or the EPA, then those issues should be resolved, but that’s not a problem for all of them.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We live in the Missouri Ozarks, have to use premium in our personal vehicles, lawn equipment and some of the farm equipment.  The other equipment like the bigger tractor use diesel.

Premium was $4.90 - up thirty cents from last week which was up twenty cents from the week before.

Diesel was $5.20.

There was a guy next to us filling up a huge piece of equipment with large tanks down each side.   My husband said it was a grain hauler hauling corn.   We chatted a bit and he was telling us how expeneive fertilizer, seed, etc. was this year. 

I saw on his meter than filling one side cost $234.86.  Just one side ! 

Esteemed Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
 there are 9000 unused permits to drill on federal land. Why aren’t they being used? If drilling is being impeded by the courts or the EPA, then those issues should be resolved, but that’s not a problem for all of them.

@RollTide2008 

Unfortunately, permits are not the end all, when it comes to drilling. It is just 1 step in the many regulations they have to follow. And the courts are not the ones that makes the regulations, they are there to decide disputes between, those that have the permits, and those that made the regulations.

There are the 3 branches, and many times the solutions are made to sound simple. Most court trials are where both sides are heard. When it comes to what branch of the 3 made the regulations. You can follow it from there.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RollTide2008 wrote:
@Sooner, there are 9000 unused permits to drill on federal land. Why aren’t they being used? If drilling is being impeded by the courts or the EPA, then those issues should be resolved, but that’s not a problem for all of them.

@RollTide2008 

I'm not @Sooner, but to partially answer your question--it takes billions of dollars to start a new project.  Oil companies don't use all their own money.   Several investment companies will put their money into the projects.  These are very long term and somewhat risky investments.  

But they won't if they can't be assured of a return on their investment.  With the regulations apt to change at the drop of a hat, no one can afford to take the chance their money will vanish if the project can't be completed and go online.

Add to that, many of these investment companies now are under pressure not to invest in fossil fuel projects, no matter what the return may ultimately be.

Also, the current employment environment affects the oil companies too.  These are not only very expensive projects, but they are long term.  And finding the materials and qualified help needed is going to be tough.  Many of the most qualified employees were let go years ago when oil prices were down.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here in California they have been 5.99 to 7 bucks.  I do remember them being in the low 5 dollar range in early 2008.:  also, I remember gas crisis in late 70's when we had to get in gas lines around the block.  You had to go by last numbers in license plates  , odd or even.  So we could only get gas on certain days.    There was limits too. Awful. That's when we had to get locks for gas tanks.  People came in night and siphoned gas out.  Gas went from 60 cents to 1.49.  That I remember.

the rise in gas prices isn't really do to inflation.  The war and a couple other other issues are reason. They will never lower them back to what they were, the jerks. Lol

they are ordering several drilling places to open, those that are already permitted...not new ones.   But as one poster said it takes forever to to actually see the product at the stations.