Honored Contributor

@eadu4 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 

WOW I mean we aren't too far behind you here in VA but still that's insane.  For real.  Just insane.  Your wallet has my eternal sympathy.  That is truly painful.  Like surgically removed dollars out of your clutched fists with a scalpel painful.  

@eadu4 

LOL ... you sure have a way with words!   Woman LOL

Well, hang on to your chair ....  as I mentioned upthread, I got gas this past weekend, and paid $5.59.   And that station is my favorite "cheapest" station nearby.

Today, Wednesday, the same station had Regular gas for $5.85.  

Makes me want to stay home all summer and read books in the air conditioning .....  

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  I drove by the Chevron station yesterday and regular was $6.19 per gallon.

It's really bad here in So Cal, and I don't see it getting any better anytime soon.  Luckily I have a job that is close, but many people have to drive 1+ hours just to get to work, and I think it will end up causing more unemployment. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@eadu4 wrote:

@Porcelain  Uh I see just people reporting what they are paying.  And it's interesting.  No, we can't really help each other.  But yes helps to vent.  And a buying forum is tied to the economy and gas purchase is part of the economy.  Some people have to pick up packages and mail packages so they are using gas.  I'm interested in knowing what others are paying.  And no one has named anyone responsible.  As I have stated the prices do involve alot more that supply vs demand.  Alot of of global and national things play a part in pricing.  And that includes QVCs items that they sell.  And yeah, the higher prices of everything is something people are interested in. Political?  yeah that's one side of it.  But again there's a lot of other things that play a part. As long as no one gets angry about it, I don't have a problem with this thread.   

I'm all about solutions. That interests me. What do you want to do to fix things? Or do you see us as helpless? Bringing up a problem over and over again, in excruciating detail, but never any possible solutions, is something only ineffective people do.

What's wonderful is that employment is great and many people are making a lot of money these days. Issues like the price of gas and eggs don't impact them. That only impacts those who are not making enough money on their own to adapt to change. It's harsh Darwinism. People who assumed they would be comfortable on a fixed income are realizing they need to find a side gig, even late in life. And even social security and medicare may go away very soon. They are not guaranteed. We will each have to fend for ourselves.

It's a good time to make sure you are financially stable for the future, personally. That means having way more than enough money and assets. Because the world is not going to get MORE stable anytime soon. We are in a massive season of unimaginable change. You can only create safety and stability for yourself. You can't wait for the powers that be to do it for you. No one is coming to rescue us from the problems we've created for ourselves.

Exactly where is my 85 year old mother going to go for one of these "side gigs"?  Her friend is in worse financial position, maybe you can find one for her too

Not sure the "empathy is a superpower" crowd cares much about the current policy effects on folks like your mother.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

And they're not going down any time soon. Did we pay these prices two years ago?? No! Hmmmmm......

Two years ago, 2020, we were in dire straits due to the Covid pandemic. Shutdowns everywhere, people working from home, people staying home. Far less demand for gas, thus the price was much lower.

Two years ago Russia had not yet invaded Ukraine.

Gas is more expensive worldwide, averaging eight dollars a gallon in Europe last I heard. And anyone who doesn't believe price gouging is going on, well I will be nice and say that is naive.

But continue on with the not so subtle political commentary that's supposedly not allowed here 

@Greeneyedlady21    @Effie54 

Years ago I recall some interview on a related topic.

(I'm paraphrasing because I don't recall the exact wording and it was a long TV interview, a long time ago).

The geologist (I think that's what he was) was comparing the actual amounts of fossil fuels worldwide, and what's under the U.S. was significantly less than just about every other country that could drill enough to sell to other countries.  

He pointed out that our country drilling could bring short term relief, but when the U.S. could no longer produce adequate fuel, we would be at the mercy of just about every other country ....  and based on prices I've seen this month, how would you imagine paying $50 a gallon for gas would go over?    

Sometimes you have to think long term, especially when people still aren't going out in droves to buy electric cars.  

But they are going out in droves to buy electric cars....us as being one of them on a waiting list

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer Knock it off, you are way out of line with that comment 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
QVC Customer Care

This thread is closed for commenting