Esteemed Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@Jaspertimes   I wonder if most had electric vehicles what it would do to our system in California.  Every year we get notifications about pending blackouts due to the high usage of electricity during the summer when its really hot and everyone has their a/c on.

I can only imagine if everyone had a vehicle plugged in as well. 

I think you answered your question.  It will hit the fan, so to speak.

Esteemed Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:
I know plenty of normal people in the real world who drive electric. They work every day, go on roadtrips just like gas car drivers. They have no problems keeping their vehicles
"topped off" and I don't know anyone who has run out of electricity.
Being concerned with the planet we will leave to our children and grand children is not "virtue signaling ", it's being a responsible and thoughtful adult. If you're not concerned with that, you're part of the problem.

I'll be more open to this when the issue of the 1400 lb lithium battery disposal is addressed.  Not looking forward to an environmental disaster with soil and water contamination.  They put the cart before the horse.

Trusted Contributor
@Snoopp
We will not stop progress, although I understand your concern. The auto companies themselves have plans to build majority electric within the next few years. They know that the current crop of over 55 have limited time to drive. They are looking at the younger generations and their preferences and what THEY will buy.
They don't care what our demographic wants.
Its going to be mostly all electric, whether we like it or not. Hope I live long enough to see it.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Gas Prices Today

[ Edited ]

All arguments aside, hasn't this current population suffered enough in the name of progress? We have natural resources to produce gas. To use any other technology currently presents abusive hardships.

How about tackling crime, unabashedly full force from every government angle possible? Then we may be ready to address other profound changes to our civilization.

Trusted Contributor
@FLgardener
Climate change produces poverty, massive movements of populations from areas that can no longer sustain life (this is happening right now, btw) which leads to more poverty and more crime. If we don't address climate change, we have no civilization.
First step to really tackling crime is to reduce the proliferation of guns. But we can't even get by step one. Makes me think crime is not the reason people complain about crime.
Also, we are capable of addressing multiple issues. Thank goodness we are doing that, though not fast enough.
Esteemed Contributor

Last time I went I was congratulated for keeping it under $80.  Yikes.

Trusted Contributor

@JamandBread , You and I can agree to the proliferation of guns. It's ridiculous, the ease of acquiring guns. Then, there is a profileration of knives. Where can it be stopped?

Super Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@Jaspertimes   I wonder if most had electric vehicles what it would do to our system in California.  Every year we get notifications about pending blackouts due to the high usage of electricity during the summer when its really hot and everyone has their a/c on.

I can only imagine if everyone had a vehicle plugged in as well. 

I think you answered your question.  It will hit the fan, so to speak.

I thought I had read they were having to alternate days you could charge your car. 

Super Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@JamandBread wrote:
I know plenty of normal people in the real world who drive electric. They work every day, go on roadtrips just like gas car drivers. They have no problems keeping their vehicles
"topped off" and I don't know anyone who has run out of electricity.
Being concerned with the planet we will leave to our children and grand children is not "virtue signaling ", it's being a responsible and thoughtful adult. If you're not concerned with that, you're part of the problem.

I'll be more open to this when the issue of the 1400 lb lithium battery disposal is addressed.  Not looking forward to an environmental disaster with soil and water contamination.  They put the cart before the horse.

Super Contributor

@FLgardener wrote:

All arguments aside, hasn't this current population suffered enough in the name of progress? We have natural resources to produce gas. To use any other technology currently presents abusive hardships.

How about tackling crime, unabashably full force from every government angle possible? Then we may be ready to address other profound changes to our civilization.

Agree