Respected Contributor

I'm in CT and last week when I filled the car it was about $3.89...this has been down from $4.35-$4.59 and higher at one point. I was hoping that meant it was on its way down. Haven't looked this week. Ugh...truly sick of being gauged everywhere.

These gas hikes were so uneccessary too. Hopefully, "this too shall pass" can't happen fast enough.

Super Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Get a Tesla. Woman Wink

This would be good advice for those that can afford it. I am on a fixed income and the paid for car I have will be my last car.  Think of all in America that don't have a car at all. It will be YEARS before electric cars are the primary cars on the road, if ever.  Also, what about your electric bill?  Can't imagine what that will be. And where is all the electricity going to come from?  I hear green, green, green, but all I see is the current sources we have now taken away with no transition to another at all.

Honored Contributor

I paid $3.19 yesterday. That's down over a dollar here.

Respected Contributor

@Jaspertimes   I wonder if most had electric vehicles what it would do to our system in California.  Every year we get notifications about pending blackouts due to the high usage of electricity during the summer when its really hot and everyone has their a/c on.

I can only imagine if everyone had a vehicle plugged in as well. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Get a Tesla. Woman Wink

And eat some cake.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Get a Tesla. Woman Wink

Yeah. Not such a great idea. A compact sedan like a Honda Civic will cost you $23,000-$29,000 while a compact Tesla (Model 3) will cost you $48,000-$62,000. That's a $19,000-$39,000 difference in price. (Most expensive Civic to least expensive Tesla and vice versa.) At $5 a gallon for gas, the $19,000 difference in cost (and that's the least possible difference) is 3,800 gallons of gas. A Civic gets about 30+ MPG so you're looking at driving at least 114,000 miles before you break even on the cost of the two cars. And that's not including the cost of charging the Tesla which can cost about $9.62 per charge, and you get 267 miles per charge. The math just doesn't work.

And the math gets worse when you move up to bigger versions. A mid-size sedan like the Kia Telluride can cost about $43,000 while the comparable Tesla (Model X) costs $120,000+. That's a $77,000+ difference. That's a lot of gas.

Teslas are great cars, very techie and neat, but they aren't practical. Not for "normal" people. If you're a virtue-signaling "I'm saving the planet" type, they're great for you. For normal people in the real world, they're not so practical. The math just doesn't work.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Gas hikes don't affect me that much, as I don't drive frequently other than locally.

One thing I am noticing, though, is that it seems to have no effect on aggressive driving. In past years I noticed drivers slowed down a bit. Not now. 

It's a Mad Max world out there.

Trusted Contributor
I know plenty of normal people in the real world who drive electric. They work every day, go on roadtrips just like gas car drivers. They have no problems keeping their vehicles
"topped off" and I don't know anyone who has run out of electricity.
Being concerned with the planet we will leave to our children and grand children is not "virtue signaling ", it's being a responsible and thoughtful adult. If you're not concerned with that, you're part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't buy a Tesla if my life depended on it.  

Trusted Contributor

In my landscaping business, I worked for over 20 years at the home of a prominent car dealership owner.  He drove an electric car for around town trips only. For anything further than immediate downtown, he drove a gas driven car. For road trips--well, he didn't take them. He flew. This is in the last few years.

By the way, how many Priuses do you see on the road. None here.