Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

@Libbylady wrote:

Very disappointing.  I guess he left Lake Wobegon and went to the big city.

I don't understand this reply. What does his firing have to do with his going to the big city?

That was laugh out loud funny..lol   Apparently, she thinks that things like that only happen in big cities.  

@chrystaltree

Would I be right in assuming you are unfamiliar with the fictional town of Lake Wobegon, because it seems you don't understand the connection, either.

Trusted Contributor

Inappropriate behavior has been going on forever.  Everyone knew about the "casting couch" and nothing was ever done about it.  Today women are speaking out and maybe the time is coming that men will think first before engaging in this type of behavior.  But some get away with it, some do not.

Honored Contributor

OMG!!!

Will this never end?

...and the First Offender still stays in place.  Crazy world with mixed-up values.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@JJsMom, I think that the poster was using a clever metaphor, not anything literal. At least, that was my take on it.

I guess I'm tired of the implication that bad things only happen in big cities, unless that poster was making the comment tongue-in-cheek as a dig against Keillor, in which case that would be clever. It's often hard to read intent on a message board, especially this one.

I never listened to his show, but if it romanticized a small town where everyone was honest, pure, and perfect, then it's probably good I haven't.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

@Libbylady wrote:

@Libbylady

Priceless.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: Garrison Keillor Fired

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

@Libbylady wrote:

I don't understand this reply. What does his firing have to do with his going to the big city?

That was laugh out loud funny..lol   Apparently, she thinks that things like that only happen in big cities.  

What is becoming laugh out loud funny in this thread is people with concrete thinking who can’t process metaphors.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@JJsMom, I think that the poster was using a clever metaphor, not anything literal. At least, that was my take on it.

I guess I'm tired of the implication that bad things only happen in big cities, unless that poster was making the comment tongue-in-cheek as a dig against Keillor, in which case that would be clever. It's often hard to read intent on a message board, especially this one.

I never listened to his show, but if it romanticized a small town where everyone was honest, pure, and perfect, then it's probably good I haven't.

That's how I saw it @JJsMom@, and it was clever imo, @Noel7 who lives in a big city.

Valued Contributor

Thank you, SuzyQ3.  I wasn't looking to make a confusing comment. 

I thought  those who grew up with the stories of the loveable, but flawed, folks of Lake Wobegon would understand.

Many Wobegoner's went off to a big city and returned with grandiose ideas or were exposed to life's seemier side, in the view of town gossips.

These tangled lives made for charming stories, often with a subtle message.

This news makes me sad.  I meant nothing about city vs. country values. 

Respected Contributor

I'm not surprised all these pro women men are anything but.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

That's how I saw it @JJsMom@, and it was clever imo, @Noel7 who lives in a big city.

I guess you had to have listened to the program to get it. I have heard about Prairie Home Companion (wasn't there a movie made about it?).

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu