Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I agree with you @Tadaki and @Sooner.

This glee at every man who is accused is very disturbing.

There are some who are serial harassers, and do deserve to be removed.

But, to just accept every accusation as gospel is wrong.

You two ladies have said what I've been trying to say all day.

It's incredibly easy to throw accusations around, with little to no proof, and know that that is all it takes to ruin someone's life.

And yes, there are women who do that, because they know that the default is to believe the woman without question, and to fire the guy.

@Plaid Pants2  Way off track.  This thread is about a man who admitted to the accusation.  Same with the Matt thread.  Whether SOME women accuse falsely is a topic for another thread.

You are saying what "should" have ended the GK situation; that isn't your call.

And let's not get into "my opinion and the right to express it" sermon.

If a man  is denying, then we have a topic for a different field of opinions. 

But here we have no denial; therefore taking the topic off into the stratosphere is meaningless.

I also see no "glee" here; I seriously doubt that any poster is happy to see the fall of any person because it  also means that there is a victim.  Our concern is for the women who had to look at exposed genitalia, were given sex toys, were inappropriately touched-the list goes on.

In between all the angst over some man who might be falsely accused I am beginning to see some resentment toward any woman who has spoken up.

I find that more disturbing than anything else.

@Cakers3

Absolutely, way off track.  Keillor admitted it.  Fact, not opinion.

Respected Contributor

"I put my hand on a woman's bare back. I meant to pat her back after she told me about her unhappiness and her shirt was open and my hand went up it about six inches. She recoiled. I apologized. I sent her an email of apology later and she replied that she had forgiven me and not to think about it. We were friends. We continued to be friendly right up until her lawyer called. .  .  Anyone who ever was around my show can tell you that I was the least physically affection person in the building. . . Actors hug, musicians hug, people were embracing every Saturday night left and right, and I stood off in the corner like a stone statue. . .But I'm just fine. I had a good long run and am grateful for it and for everything else."

--Garrison Keillor

I don't see an admission here.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

"I put my hand on a woman's bare back. I meant to pat her back after she told me about her unhappiness and her shirt was open and my hand went up it about six inches. She recoiled. I apologized. I sent her an email of apology later and she replied that she had forgiven me and not to think about it. We were friends. We continued to be friendly right up until her lawyer called. .  .  Anyone who ever was around my show can tell you that I was the least physically affection person in the building. . . Actors hug, musicians hug, people were embracing every Saturday night left and right, and I stood off in the corner like a stone statue. . .But I'm just fine. I had a good long run and am grateful for it and for everything else."

--Garrison Keillor

@IamMrsG

"I put my hand on a woman's bare back. I meant to pat her back after she told me about her unhappiness and her shirt was open and my hand went up it about six inches."

That's what she accused him of doing, and lo and behold, he said he did just that.

Honored Contributor

2 women?

Later Wednesday, Keillor gave a statement to MPR News saying he had to "respect the privacy of the two employees who have made the allegations."

Esteemed Contributor

There are so many accusations against so many men that it’s dizzying. Yes, some men exhibited worse behavior than others. Some deserve more censure and punishment than others. Nevertheless, investigations of allegations must be conducted. This is not a court of law. If victims are credible, if evidence leads to inevitable conclusions, then appropriate measures MUST be taken. If legal actions are warranted and possible, so much the better.

This musn’t be a partisan issue, i.e., criticizing those not in your party and defending those who ARE in your party. Unwanted « secksual » abuse deserves zero tolerance. Some of these allegations seem shocking to me, but some are not. That’s not important. What is important is to get rid of those predators who have spent their careers abusing women. It is time to put a stop to this once and for all.

Respected Contributor

There obviously is a difference between an explanation and an admission. 

Most women can discern the difference between a slip, an accidental touch, and an intention to cross a line.  Seemingly, from what he tells, she did initially.  I find it intriguing that an attorney was brought into the situation after she continued to be friendly, accepted two apologies and advised him, ". . . not to think about it."   I wonder what took place along that timeline. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

There obviously is a difference between an explanation and an admission. 

Most women can discern the difference between a slip, an accidental touch, and an intention to cross a line.  Seemingly, from what he tells, she did initially.  I find it intriguing that an attorney was brought into the situation after she continued to be friendly, accepted two apologies and advised him, ". . . not to think about it."   I wonder what took place along that timeline. 

@IamMrsG

In this case, the explanation is the admission. 

I can't agree that she understood a difference you see. Who knows what she thought, certainly no one here. He also admitted she recoiled at his hand sliding up her bare back.

I don't presume to know what all she thought but it is a fact that he admitted what was highlighted in bold.

Respected Contributor

Re: Garrison Keillor Fired

[ Edited ]

I can't read all these pages, but I never saw a complaint about Errol Flynn, or Clark Gable, or Leonardo diCaprio or John Lennon.  Seems more about the frogs vs the princes.

Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

--Garrison Keillor

This needs to be repeated, because people keep forgetting this important part.

Honored Contributor

@Justice4all wrote:

I can't read all these pages, but I never saw a complaint about Errol Flynn, or Clark Gable, or Leonardo diCaprio or John Lennon.  Seems more about the frogs vs the princes.

I think not.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.