Honored Contributor

Garage Sales! 🤦‍♀️

[ Edited ]

We held one here last fall and did pretty well.  Our plan was to deliver and donate all the leftovers to a resale shop that is an outreach for our local Christian schools, but my friend convinced us to wait and first have one more sale in the spring.  Our community is doing a townwide sale the end of this week, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.  Our garage has all the leftovers from last time (I didn't want any of it coming back inside) and DH has been pulling more out from our crawl and outside shed.  It's stacking up and getting on my nerves. Tomorrow we set up and price everything.  My friend is joining us and bringing her stuff tomorrow too.  I'm already kind of dreading it, but we're committed.  At least the weather is supposed to be nice. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Garage Sales! 🤦‍♀️

I don't hold them and I don't go to them.

If I'm getting rid of something, it's donated if it's in good shape, otherwise it's thrown out.  

I have enough of my own stuff and don't need to be buying anybody elses stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

I commend you! They're sooo much work. We used to have one every 2-3 years, and made a lot of money. But, ya know, too much work.

Good luck!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch hope you have good weather - that helps!   We have one here as part of the community garage sale every year.  I think that helps drive traffic in and make it worth the effort.  I have alot of things to still get rid of, but I also enjoy going to sales too - it's fun to find something at a bargain price.

Good luck at yours!

Esteemed Contributor

My mom and I had one years ago.  My aunt used to have one every year and I would take things to put in hers and help out during the sale.  It was a lot of work, and I priced things dirt cheap so didn't make a whole lot of money. 

However, they are kind of fun if you have a couple of days to devote to them and the weather is nice.  I enjoyed eavesdropping while people are looking and then trying to figure out why somebody would buy the dirtiest item when there was a duplicate item, but much better quality, for a quarter more, etc.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

We had one when we sold our home in NJ.  Once was enough!  As previous poster said, I'll donate my stuff or throw it out.  And I have never gone to a garage/yard sale in my life!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had them in the past, but not physically able anymore.  A lot of work, but fun.  And I did make a few bucks Smiley Happy 

Now, I just donate. Our church has a rummage sale every June and that's where I take my stuff that is still in good shape.  Otherwise, out it goes.

Esteemed Contributor

We could never be bothered with that type of thing.  We always just donated or gave to a family member.  No way would I waste my time doing that, but that's me.  If you enjoy it, that's what counts.  

Honored Contributor

I just put whatever I don't want at the end of my driveway with a sign that says FREE.  Most of the time it is gone within the hour.

This year, two of my cousins will pick up things I don't want and sell them to make money for their favorite charity at a huge garage sale.

I don't have any get up and go to be bothered selling stuff.  I just want it gone.

I know some people love garage sales.  My sis in law's  sister buys used costume jewelry and resells it.  She makes about 85k to 90k a year doing that.  That's a great income for part time work.

Trusted Contributor

Hope it all goes well. It's such a lot of work, but it sounds like you have good help. I had one years ago when we moved. I said never again. We overslept and had already advertised so the people were knocking and we were still asleep, worn out from all the moving. We got up running, I  hate to do that. After all, it went pretty well. We made a few bucks and got rid of the stuff we couldn't take. 

I used to love going to garage sales and flea markets but now I'm all about getting rid of stuff. I will enjoy slowly getting to all the things we need to get rid of and maybe make money for the church. I am not able to attempt one myself, even if I ever wanted to, but I'm hoping I'll be able to help. I never know how much to charge, that takes alot of my time. Too much, too little? Who knows? I'll just do my best.