Honored Contributor

Re: Garage Sales! 🤦‍♀️

Lizard (rocking chair):  What???  Wait....how did that get out here?

Customer:  "If it's in the yard, it's for sale."

proxy-image.jpg

173836.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Usually I put stuff with a FREE sign at the side of the end of our driveway.

Once someone came up to the door and gave me $20 for two swivel Naugahyde old chairs.  He was going to resell them and felt I should get something !

Once another person even took the FREE sign !

Last Fall I put out a huge plastic tub from a tree we had planted.  I filled it half up with yellow iris corms and made up several handouts with planting and care instructions.  Also, I placed several plastic tote bags so folks could take as many as they wanted.

You guessed it: someone took everything.  If they planted all of them, in about three years they will have a lot of work to do in dividing the plants !

Over the years I don't remember having anything left out after a few days.  The best time was when there were construction workers nearby widening the road: got rid of a whole lot of stuff !!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't be bothered.  I call the Salvation Army, set up an appointment, they come to the house & lug everthing & I mean EVERYTHING right onto their truck.  Then I get a tax write off receipt.

"One man's junk is another man's treasure."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

We enjoy neighborhood garage sales. Whether we buy or not(usually not) it is a good walk and fun.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

My dad loved grarage sales, he'd drag me to them on weekends when I was a kid.  We didn't need other people's cast offs but he loved the thrill of the hunt.  When I graduated high school, I vowed I never go to another garage sale and I haven't.  I don't know why, they seem to have fallen out of favor here.  It happened long before COVID.  What was once very popular on weekends vanished.  

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

We could never be bothered with that type of thing.  We always just donated or gave to a family member.  No way would I waste my time doing that, but that's me.  If you enjoy it, that's what counts.  

@LindaSal Sometimes some of us have a lot of things and need money and space.  It's not always a waste of time--if you need the money. 

Moving and cleaning out other people's stuff comes to mind, people who have kids things etc.

Honored Contributor

Every town/village/city around here does a huge area wide rummage sale. Not my thing, but people love them. I have a friend who must leave her big old farmhouse after renting it for 45 years. Her rummage sale would take up the whole yard! 

Trusted Contributor

I live in rent, so no garage sales here, but I just "did" a flea market last weekend in the rain. It is a great deal of work, as I am nearly 76 and did it by myself. However, from 6:15 a.m. when I started setting up until 8:30 when I shut down due to a multi- hour downpour, I made $185 and sold about 75% of what I had. Most of the items were new or barely used and priced low. Nothing was over $4.   I donated the leftovers. For me, it was a great way to de- clutter and make a few dollars.  I had vowed in my 60s that I would not do another flea market, but I actually always have enjoyed them. 

So, good luck with your sale. I hope you have sunny skies.

Respected Contributor

Our town requires a permit to hold a garage sale....you have to apply, pay a fee, and then it takes forever to get it approved. Too much work and now that they require jumping through hoops for a permit....I would rather donate it. I use a program where you pick your donation time and date, leave your donations on the porch, and they come pick it up and leave a receipt on your email. You choose who you want to benefit from the donation. Easy-peasey. 

Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I don't hold them and I don't go to them.

If I'm getting rid of something, it's donated if it's in good shape, otherwise it's thrown out.  

I have enough of my own stuff and don't need to be buying anybody elses stuff.

Same~~~I HATE them with a passion.