Honored Contributor

Has anyone bought and used masks from either of these retailers? The masks at Gap on on a buy one get one half off. The masks from Old Navy are really cheap. I was just wondering if these are a pass or not ( reviews aren't that great)?

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 

Someone wrote this to me the other day on another thread. Hope this helps.

@KBEANS That's funny because I did take a home economics class and do know how to sew, and made a couple that were not very good.

The ones at Old Navy have soft elastic with plenty of give, others I have been given from work (with the company logo) and bought from people who had relatives making them must have been made for people with tiny heads.....and those are sitting unused on my desk.

You won't be dissapointed with the ones from Old Navy.

Super Contributor

The Old Navy masks are among the worst.They did not pass the candle test (you should not be able to blow out a candle through the mask). The article is from Cook's Illustrated.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/articles/2655-the-best-reusable-face-masks?fbclid=IwAR3tFmSkI6y5iv6...

Old Navy Variety 5-Pack of Triple-Layer Cloth Face Masks for Adults

Price: $12.50 ($2.50 per mask)

Attachment Style: Ear loops

Number of Sizes: 2 (adult, kids) 

Features: n/a

Material: 3-ply, 100% cotton

Care Instructions: Machine-wash cold; tumble dry low

Efficacy: 0

Ease of Use: ***

Adjustability: *

Cleanup/Durability: ***

Pros: Breathable, easy to put on, pleats allowed for more nose-to-chin coverage, fit a variety of face sizes, fine to walk and run in, machine washable and dryable 

Cons: Did not pass the candle test, noticeable gaps near nose, material is a bit scratchy

“…nevertheless, she persisted.”
Esteemed Contributor

I've bought home made masks and old Navy masks and I prefer the Old Navy. No mask is going to be comfortable, they're all hot but for the price they work for me. I dislike all masks.

Esteemed Contributor

I have bought several from old navy, for myself and others. We have been happy with them. I have washed them in cold, in a lingerie bag, let them air dry. They don't shrink. I mention that because some of my homemade ones, that I washed the same way, the elastic shrunk and now are unwearable.

If they are having a sale, I may order me some more. I seldom go out, but I think we will be wearing masks for quite a while to come.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2  Old Navy are the only ones I wear.  They are comfortable out of the package (always wash first though), and reasonably priced.  Others I have tried are too tight and make my ears look like Dumbo, but these are comfortable and I have to wear a mask all day at work, so they are an easy "yes" from me. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

Another vote for Old Navy and now they have adjustable ear straps (helps with side gap).  I don't know who tested them and said scratchy and failed candle test.  They are high quality and well made they are my favorites.

Honored Contributor

Yes I bought masks from Old Navy and I,like them.

Made very well.

I have several masks in my collection now.

Respected Contributor

Old Navy masks are the only ones I wear.  I just bought some holiday masks.

Honored Contributor

I think I already know the answer, but are the ones from Old Navy made in China, thanks.