Honored Contributor

Re: Gamechager drug for obesity can cut weight by 20%, New study in New England Journal of Medicine

@MoonieBaby wrote:

Oh Mindy - I am so sorry for your loss, how terrible for your family.

I took the combo drug in 1996, and lost a ton of weight - I went from 135 to 115 in about 1.5-2 months, no side effects no heart issues and no lasting problems.

I was a lucky participant.

The drug peeled weight off my 5'5" frame without issue.

Truthfully the magic in a "magic pill" is this - eating less and expending more is the key to weight loss and maintaining it, is the effort that becomes lifelong.

I hope to lose this covid 19+ by following my own advice - be well and be good to yourself Mindy, we only have this life to live...lets make the most and best of it.

@MoonieBaby @Thank you but my sister died from causes unrelated to the Phen Fen. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Gamechanger drug for obesity can cut weight by 20%, New study in New England Journal of Medicine

Sometimes I really wonder why there isn't more information on how effective a low carbohydrate diet is for patients struggling with their weight....no drugs necessary. Personally, the eat less, move more never worked for me. A low carbohydrate meal plan has kept me thin. When I go off it, I can actually gain 5 pounds in a week.

Honored Contributor

Re: Gamechager drug for obesity can cut weight by 20%, New study in New England Journal of Medicine

@Mindy D wrote:

@MoonieBaby wrote:

Oh Mindy - I am so sorry for your loss, how terrible for your family.

I took the combo drug in 1996, and lost a ton of weight - I went from 135 to 115 in about 1.5-2 months, no side effects no heart issues and no lasting problems.

I was a lucky participant.

The drug peeled weight off my 5'5" frame without issue.

Truthfully the magic in a "magic pill" is this - eating less and expending more is the key to weight loss and maintaining it, is the effort that becomes lifelong.

I hope to lose this covid 19+ by following my own advice - be well and be good to yourself Mindy, we only have this life to live...lets make the most and best of it.

@MoonieBaby @Thank you but my sister died from causes unrelated to the Phen Fen. 

I am sorry @Mindy D @for your loss...

Honored Contributor

Re: Gamechanger drug for obesity can cut weight by 20%, New study in New England Journal of Medicine

The true game changer is figuring out what foods will curb your appetite.  Low carb has done that for me finally.  That drug is probably a real budget buster. 😏

Honored Contributor

@furbabylover -

I so agree and was writing the same thing at the same time. I think we just have to be very cautious in trusting so many rx drugs so readily prescribed. I always feel that drs will prescribe the latest or largest selling thing and well, if there are bad effects they may even say, oh it probably isn't because of the drug.

Not all, but many do. Just my experience and from family and friends too.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I was just thinking about this earlier, wondering why they can't develop a medication to treat obesity - they treat so many other health issues, why not obesity?   Well, here we go. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Sometimes I really wonder why there isn't more information on how effective a low carbohydrate diet is for patients struggling with their weight....no drugs necessary. Personally, the eat less, move more never worked for me. A low carbohydrate meal plan has kept me thin. When I go off it, I can actually gain 5 pounds in a week.

Because, as you point out, no one way of eating works for everyone. (I also think there is a lot of stuff about low carb eating out there.) You found what worked for you; others "eat less and move more" successfully but could never stick to a low carb way of life.

Honored Contributor

What is DKA?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

What is DKA?

Diabetic ketoacidosis.

Nothing to do with eating keto.  

Trusted Contributor

So, while taking this drug you still have to watch your calorie intake and excercise?  Oh,brother, sounds like another scam and money maker for the drug maker.