Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gamechanger drug for obesity can cut weight by 20%, New study in New England Journal of Medicine

For those watching their carbs- what's your carb count a day? I  keep my net carbs (minus the fiber count) 100 - 150 a day.... aiming for  100 though!  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gamechanger drug for obesity can cut weight by 20%, New study in New England Journal of Medicine

@DottieBlue wrote:

So, while taking this drug you still have to watch your calorie intake and excercise?  Oh,brother, sounds like another scam and money maker for the drug maker.

@DottieBlue There's no magic pill, wish there was! Woman LOL You would most likely have to watch your food and exercise.My problem moreso is they don't know the term effects of these meds. 

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

What is DKA?

Diabetic ketoacidosis.

Nothing to do with eating keto.  

@tansy, thanks!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DottieBlue wrote:

So, while taking this drug you still have to watch your calorie intake and excercise?  Oh,brother, sounds like another scam and money maker for the drug maker.

@DottieBlue @It's easier to watch calories when your appetite is greatly reduced. The drug was much more effective in weight loss for the experimental group than for the control group getting the placebo. Both groups had counseling from dietitians about their diets and physical activity.  It's not a scam, but it is a money maker. I think I remember reading somewhere that persons taking the drug for Type 2 diabetes usually see costs of $1000 per month. It's also an injectable, which is not a plus for many. Marketing will probably compare its use to the alternative of surgical intervention although there were no participants in the trials that would qualify for surgery. Posters here familiar with this drug are claiming they know quite a few friends with bad side effects from the drug. The dose for diabetes is much lower than the dose for weight loss. I'm sure that getting the results published in such a prestigious journal as the New England Jounal of Medicine will result in doctors prescribing the drug. I certainly wouldn't want to take a diabetes drug when I don't have diabetes.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D 

I have been taking Ozempic for many months now. I am also now at the maximum dose of 1mg/week for type 2 Diabetes for 3 months. I have lost a few pounds only. This may or may not be affected by the fact that COVID fears has stopped me from the outside walking I used to do. In the past I have taken Bydureon and Victoza. Victoza initially caused me to lose the most weight and then made me start gaining weight. I have noticed that the Ozempic does a better job of appetite control. 

I saw this article previously, and wonder about the 2.4mg dosing.

Honored Contributor

@Xivambala wrote:

@Mindy D 

I have been taking Ozempic for many months now. I am also now at the maximum dose of 1mg/week for type 2 Diabetes for 3 months. I have lost a few pounds only. This may or may not be affected by the fact that COVID fears has stopped me from the outside walking I used to do. In the past I have taken Bydureon and Victoza. Victoza initially caused me to lose the most weight and then made me start gaining weight. I have noticed that the Ozempic does a better job of appetite control. 

@Xivambala @The higher doseage is for weight loss only. BTW, no diabetics were included in the study. 

Valued Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Xivambala wrote:

@Mindy D 

@Xivambala @The higher doseage is for weight loss only. BTW, no diabetics were included in the study. 

@Mindy D 

I go for my next 3 month check up with my endocrinologist in a 1.5 weeks and will see the effect of the current dose. I just might ask her about the dosing  variances for the differing uses.