Respected Contributor

It was announced in the local paper yesterday that our school board is shelling out $15.9 million dollars to update the high school football stadium. I have steam coming out of my ears. To my knowledge, it's used a few months a year for football and for graduations. I can't believe they would waste tax payer dollars for this. Especially now with so many out of work, as I'm sure taxes will being going up to pay for this. These people have no common sense. Other schools just play at their  high schools. I just don't get it. Sorry, had to vent.

Respected Contributor

That would make me angry as well.

Our school district just announced they will continue on-line learning when school is to resume in late August.  They stated the task of figuring out and implementing the guidelines was too monumental.  I can imagine what the parents' reactions will be, especially for children entering kindergarten or first grade.   But I bet they'll be able to figure out how to have a football season.

Honored Contributor

@catter70  I've seen lots of school districts spend huge dollars on sports facilities -  check other districts of similar size around you.  In many areas sports have huge numbers of supporters -  is that true in your district?

That field may be used way more than just football season.  I know the one I could see from my classroom was in use just about everyday that weather would allow -  including lots of community who came to walk the track which surrounded the field before and after school hours.   

Trusted Contributor

We're spending 200 million on renovating out high school and now of course the state is talking about the new normal in learning and whatever that means so who knows if we'll even need it. Really didn't need it in the first place. Bland and boring was fine for everyone else. 

Honored Contributor

@AlleghenyAs a non-involved bystander, I've been wondering for quite a while what the parents of the little ones especially were going to want their school district to do.  

Is there agreement within any school community about how the 20-21 school year should look?  

Respected Contributor

Isn't it crazy??  There's always the excuse with the school building or sports facility that it so desperately needs an update.  When it's all done, the update is shocking!  Why the overkill?? 

Honored Contributor

I want to know if we are going to get a rebate or refund on our property taxes due to the fact that utilities in the schools haven't been used since mid March.

Respected Contributor
My child’s high school’s football stadium is used for football, field hockey, soccer, lacrosse, track and field, and band competitions. It is also used by the middle schools and rented out for various youth league events. The track is open to the public for walking and running.
Honored Contributor

I know many people who work in the school system in my small town, and the funds are allocated way in advance. Some of the money comes from grants, some of bonds/taxes that were voted on by the taxpayers during one of their elections. They cannot switch money from one source to another. That would be illegal.

I always see tax measures on the voting ballot in my county for various school issues. It is up to the voter whether they want to agree/disagree. Some of the "measures" that are promoted also need voters to make it happen.

The school district I live in is building an additional high school that was approved three years ago. It is scheduled to open this fall. It all gets approved way in advance per the voter's wishes.

Esteemed Contributor

I hope its a wealthy school district, because they are liable to have to redo some of the classrooms in response to covid. I know my daughter in law teaches, and her room had big desks, where 3 or 4 students would sit. Well, those will have to go, because of the 6 ft rule, if the school even opens up in the fall.

I don't think this is a good time to be spending a bunch of money on football. We are in a mess.