Honored Contributor

GREAT AMERICAN PHOTOGRAPHER IMOGEN CUNNINGHAM

Imogen_Cunningham_self_portrait_1909.jpeg

Imogen's self-portrait, above.

Does anyone else here love her work?  I started thinking about photographers I liked after viewing one of the spectacular shots by the Q Board's own @godi !

Imogen Cunningham, born Oregon 1883,  died California 1976.

I think the portraits draw me the most.

The Dream    1910

Dream_Imogen_Cunningham_1910.jpg

Stan, 1959.

plate_101_cunningham.jpg

Judy Dater 1976. (I think-- anyway, mid-Seventies.)

afc236d5-9048-9c87-92be-69194d41444f.jpg

Cunningham didn't just do stunning portraits however-- she could do everything.

What I notice is her ability to bring out things, even in people you think you might already "know".   She didn't do many Hollywood portraits, but some are so striking in what they reveal.  This one of Jimmy Cagney, for example.  Love the "roughness", the freckles, the suggestion of a lot going on in his head.  I feel like we're getting something 'real':

portrait-of-actor-james-cagney-imogen-cunningham.jpg

And it took Imogen Cunningham to bring out this elusive aspect of Joan Blondell--  I didn't recognize her, she is so natural and lovely without the Hollywood glitz.  Beautiful use of light and shadow:

slide_59.jpg

Here's some of the looming, almost monumental strength in her non-portrait work. Gas Tanks, 1927:

Gas Tanks, 1927.jpg

This one, of an aloe plant, is either the Twenties or the Thirties--

image-asset.jpeg

This kinetic moment, is I think (but am not sure) of college dancers, sometime in the Thirties. 

0015.jpg

She's so versatile, spanning decade after decade, with her gimlet eye for beauty and truth.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: GREAT AMERICAN PHOTOGRAPHER IMOGEN CUNNINGHAM

Stan 1959 just captivates me. I see the torment, and sadness of the 50s reflected in his face. 

Honored Contributor

I am not familiar with Imogen Cunningham but I certainly appreciate seeing her photos, thanks to you, Oznell!!!!!  What excellent photographs, each filled with much expression and feeling.  She certainly captures much in her work, it is not just a photo of someone or something, but a work of art.  Imogen's talent as an artist is very appealing and I am now introduced to another great in the art world.  The Dream is haunting and my favorite of the group.

Respected Contributor

Outstanding artist. Will go back to view again. Cagney is a favorite.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow thank you @Oznell for sharing this post and the compliment. 🥰 I love these shots and in black and white so stunning. I am going to investigate her more. You always teach and inform us so elegantly. ❤️

Honored Contributor

@manny2@spiderw@Catiele@godi --

Love hearing your intelligent responses to these creative images of a visual artist --  your comments increase my enjoyment of them too!