Esteemed Contributor

I received an email about an order and I needed to act on something so click here.  I of course deleted the email and went to my Amazon account to check.  Sure enough, an item I had ordered was now on a back order and they wanted to let me know in case I wanted to cancel it.  So I do always check with the company when I get emails, but by going through their actual site and my account without clicking on links.  I will say for all the times I have ever receieved one of those emails that was the first legit one.

Honored Contributor

Re: GOT A FAKE AMAZON EMAIL

[ Edited ]

I keep getting emails:  TY Customer(not my name...dead give-away) for the 768.00 computer you ordered...we will email you when we ship your order.Smiley Frustrated

Delete...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Esteemed Contributor

Friend who is a member of our square dancing group and also a member of a church group.  Each group does not use the BCC (blind copy) when sending out emails... So the email addresses are fair game for the bad guys.  in any case I got an email asking for her help to send an Amazon gift card to her niece because her "credit card was rejected."   I knew it was fake but I answered her and said NO.  Never should have done that.  I did not know her email had been taken over and now they had mine.  I got a call from "Amazon" telling ME I had been hacked.  I hung up knowing that was a scam. I called her on the phone only to find out all her friends had been contacted also.  She had to change her email address and password.  Lots of work to make the change and she is not well.  

Fortunately all I had to do was change my password.