Esteemed Contributor

Already a very depressed area, not much chance of recovery soon.  GM had promised to keep the plant open, so you know how much value their word holds.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

It appears all the American auto makers are moving away from "cars" (especially smaller ones) due to lagging sales.  I know that Ford has announced they will discontinue all models except for SUV's, trucks, and the iconic Mustang.  I'm glad they at least decided to keep the Mustang, since I own one and love it.  I'm guessing the American auto makers figure they can leave the cars to Honda, Toyota, Kia, etc.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

People need cars ,and trucks  it is so sad to see what factory jobs are gone , these were good paying jobs, made in usa, why not make cars here?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Already a very depressed area, not much chance of recovery soon.  GM had promised to keep the plant open, so you know how much value their word holds.

Wasn't that around the same time they accepted over $80 million from the state (Ohio) in tax incentives?  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Valued Contributor

@goldensrbest Here”s a link to an Automoptive News article that discusses the decrease in demand for cars (light vehicles) and decision by Ford and GM to halt or decrease  their production. https://www.autonews.com/article/20181203/RETAIL01/181209939/volume-dips-0-5-as-cars-sputter-but-17m...

Trusted Contributor

Re: GM plant closes today

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ Yes, do agree re the college for everyone is not the answer.  Fifteen years ago my grandson went to a technical high school and chose a career in sheet metal.  He knew he wasn't "college material" and in fact had no desire to go that route.  So he rose to the top of the class in his chosen field and today is a foreman making excellent money.  Educators today need to get out of the college mind set and realize that many of our young people are better using their minds along with their hands.  There is a need for both.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: GM plant closes today

[ Edited ]

@traveler 

I grew up around St. Louis, and cars were big business in the area.  Dated a young man who worked the line that made Corvettes.

My dad worked in a railroad switching yard that often moved cars out the plants on to their destinations.  

I feel deeply sorry for those folks who thought they had a job for life.  I agree that not everyone needs college, but so little emphasis is placed on trades anymore.

My husband is a bricklayer (started working at 13 with his grandfather).  He cannot find anyone that has the skill level he has.  He's getting older and doesn't want to do the work as much as he did, so he's diversified. 

He laments that no one coming up knows how to do anything!  Has trouble finding anyone who wants to "labor" and learn on the job. 

"Too hard", they say.

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman   I know exactly what you mean. My car mechanic complains to me everytime I see him that he can’t find good mechanics. He is willing to pay $1500 a week & still can’t find anyone with any real training or experience.He says that young people just aren’t interested in learning the trade.

Honored Contributor

Slightly off topic (yet not really):

One of my sons was looking at becoming a jet engine mechanic. Wasn't sure if college was what he wanted because he hated class "stuff" but loved working with his hands. During College days, a rep from a school that teaches this came to speak. Long story short, he and Dad wound up at the open house, application in hand. 6 hours later they returned home with a "NO WAY" from son AND dad. Why?

18 months 5 days a week plus 10 hours a week "lab" time.Hours were 8am -4 pm M-F. No housing so that means an apartment. Can't work a regular job so, how to pay for rent (can't work a job while doing this, location is WAY away from major cities as it must be taught at an airport). Tuition is $85,000 for a certificate to take the test to gain your licence to work on jet engines. Plus you need to spend $5000 on your set of tools before classes start. What if you don't pass the test for your licence? Oh well, stinks to be you because this class does not count as ANY college credit. If you want THAT, you have to attend their out-of-state program for 2 years (typical college set up) that with out of state tuition, dorm, etc, would cost us 6 figures.

For an AA.

Nope.

Son decided to go to college after all, is thriving, straight A's and is working with CAD and engine design: declared Engineering as his major.

Becoming a mechanic or working on AC's, plumbing, etc is NOT cheap as the requirements are steep and the courses are expensive. It isn't like the old days where you could work under someone, learn the trade and then off you go. At least, not in my state.

Frequent Contributor

So sad I watched this plant being built along with the Ford plant in Lorain.  Sad to see all of those jobs and jobs that they created in other industries be gone.