Respected Contributor

GM plant closes today

[ Edited ]

Lordstown, Ohio Chev Cruze plant is closing today. 1400 jobs gone.

Honored Contributor

Oh that is too bad.  When that happens the whole community suffers.  I hope everyone can recover and find work soon.

Where I live here in PA, we have had many plants and large employers close.  It took quite a few years before things started to look up again.

Honored Contributor

I heard 2018 was the last model year for the Cruz

Honored Contributor

We would pass that plant on the way to my Moms. Very,very sad.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

our GM plant in baltimore will be closing may 4th.

296 workers......they are being given a choice of losing their jobs or relocating them to another plant.

it is sad......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor
Hmm, bad news for the people. It can and does affect so many.
Esteemed Contributor

How very sad. I get the feeling sometimes that we no longer make anything anymore. Despite political promises, we are losing more and more manufacturing jobs. We had better adjust to the changing world or we will be left behind. Trying to recapture late 19th century and early 20th century industries will not solve our problems. We need to develop a workforce that has the technical savvy to create products needed for the 21st century and beyond.

Super Contributor

I own a Cruze -- will never purchase another GM car -- too many recalls.  My Chevy Cavalier prior to the new Cruze was recalled due to ignition switches shutting off while driving (this happened to me).  GM Engineering did it to themselves--sorry so many lost their job.

Honored Contributor

So sad, doubt they will be able to sell their homes, and think of relocating the children , and the small businesses grown to serve the workers.

Such a domino effect.  😔 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Something must be done to bring thriving  21st century jobs into our economy .I agree with @Vivian  revamping old manufacturing jobs won’t work. Jobs today are no longer assembly line based.Our leaders have to start thinking about the future.We need a lot more training to bring our workforce into modern times.

America can lead again if our leaders would only stop bickering & start thinking.We also must stop pushing college educations on every young person.Not all off them should or needs to go to college. We need targeted skills training programs that pay well & offer good careers for the long term.