Honored Contributor

GInger Baker Cream Drummer Dead At 80

Ginger Baker, the red haired drummer who played with Eric Clapton in the bands Cream and Blind Faith, has died at age 80. Cause of death not yet revealed.

@dulwich did you and hubby ever work with him?

Source: Foxnews online
Honored Contributor

Re: GInger Baker Cream Drummer Dead At 80

An icon of his era, may he RIP.  Thanks for posting @Pearlee.

Honored Contributor

80 years a good long time

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd You and I must be contemporaries.
@jackthebear Not long enough when you're in your late 60s as I am.
Honored Contributor

never heard of him/ her?   Who would name a man Ginger... like a boy named Sue? 

Honored Contributor

I assume a nickname due to his red hair. Prince Harry is often referred to as a ginger.
Trusted Contributor

He had COPD (lifetime smoker), 2016 heart surgery and osteoarthritis.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
I assume a nickname due to his red hair. Prince Harry is often referred to as a ginger.

@Pearlee   I  learn something new even at 64!

Respected Contributor

Yes, it was his nickname because he had red hair. his name was Peter Baker.

When i heard "White Room" for the first time on the radio, i called the station to ask the name of the song.  The DJ said "White Room. Cream."  i went out and found an 8- track Cream tape the next day

RIP Ginger

Honored Contributor

Iconic drummer Ginger Baker died in a hospital in England Sunday ... leaving behind one of the greatest rock 'n' roll resumes. Ever.

In late September, Ginger's family announced he was hospitalized with a critical illness, and a few days later asked fans to keep him in their prayers. The family has not revealed what illness he was battling, but said he "passed away peacefully."

Much like his bandmate Clapton, Ginger battled addiction much of his life. By his own account, he quit heroin 29 times.

In his autobiography, he wrote that while on tour with Blind Faith in 1969 ... he heard on the radio that he had died from a heroin overdose. He said he was not the least bit shocked.

He is known as one of the most influential drummers in modern music. Consider this ... those epic drum solos you still see today at rock concerts -- all started because of Ginger.

Ginger was known as a wild man on the drums from his days playing with Cream members Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce. The group played legendarily long jams during their live shows and defined the psychedelic rock sound of the 1960s.

Ginger was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993 as a member of Cream.

He was 80 years old. RIP

I still have a lot of albums by Cream and Blind Faith and everything Eric Clapton ever recorded.

I think I'll play them today in his honor.....

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.