Honored Contributor

Re: GInger Baker Cream Drummer Dead At 80

May he rest in peace.

I had a bit of a chill when I read that he died.  I've been on a Blind Faith and Cream kick in the past month or so, musically speaking.

Honored Contributor

It's a wonder that he lived that long. He had a long history of drug abuse, amphetamines to be exact, and he had signs of it from looks of his rotten teeth. RIP

Honored Contributor

Ginger, or Gingy is a long used English phrase to describe a Red Head,

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

80 years old is a LONG time for anyone who made it through the 60's, 70's and early 80's in that business.  He was fabulous.  And Cream and blind faith  were the best of the best. .  Really brings back the Johhny Winter/ jeff Beck days.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

It's a wonder that he lived that long. He had a long history of drug abuse, amphetamines to be exact, and he had signs of it from looks of his rotten teeth. RIP

Shoekitty

the rotted teeth are mainly from free basing, and smoking meth from the pipe.  He was a huge freebaser in the 70's.  Yuck.  My teeth and head hurt thinking of this.  

Trusted Contributor

I think it was his ornery nature that kept him alive.  Always one to cause fights and discord - he even pulled a knife on Jack Bruce.

I've got to read his autobiography now.  RIP Ginger, thank you for your contributions to rock music.

Trusted Contributor

Sad news, one of the best drummers in rock. The song "Badge" is not only my favorite Cream song, but one of my all time favorites.

Honored Contributor

From the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame about Baker:

https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/cream