Respected Contributor

Re: GInger Baker Cream Drummer Dead At 80

@Pearlee wrote:
I assume a nickname due to his red hair. Prince Harry is often referred to as a ginger.

Peter Edward "GingerBaker

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

never heard of him/ her?   Who would name a man Ginger... like a boy named Sue? 

Never heard of Cream--the band ??

Honored Contributor

Oh no!  I can't believe that he was 80 (but then I can't believe that I'm 65!).  Seems like a lot of rock icons are passing more and more as to be expected...but really...where does the time go?!!

DH still plays "White Room" often.  Sad to hear about his passing.

Esteemed Contributor

I had read that he was critically ill, so this was not unexpected.  Some of my earliest recollections are with Cream and Ginger Baker.  RIP!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

His red hair.  A glorious mane of different shades of red.  In Britain, nearly all red heads are given  the nick name Ginger (from the character Ginger in Gilligan's Island) whether the name was given or forced on.  Red  heads to this day, wear it in pride.

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

His red hair.  A glorious mane of different shades of red.  In Britain, nearly all red heads are given  the nick name Ginger (from the character Ginger in Gilligan's Island) whether the name was given or forced on.  Red  heads to this day, wear it in pride.

@songbird       "Ginger" to describe redheads goes much further back than Gilligan's Island!!  

1865 DICKENS Mut. Fr. I. ii, Mature young gentleman; with..too much ginger in his whiskers.

1889 N.W. Linc. Gloss. (ed. 2), Ginger, a light red or yellow colour, applied to the hair.

1885 in Eng. Illustr. Mag. June 605 There is..‘Ginger’, the red-haired, who [etc.].

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

@songbird wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@songbird       "Ginger" to describe redheads goes much further back than Gilligan's Island!!  

1865 DICKENS Mut. Fr. I. ii, Mature young gentleman; with..too much ginger in his whiskers.

1889 N.W. Linc. Gloss. (ed. 2), Ginger, a light red or yellow colour, applied to the hair.

1885 in Eng. Illustr. Mag. June 605 There is..‘Ginger’, the red-haired, who [etc.].

LOL.  They told me that when I was in the UK.  There was also a stroy going around at the time, that redheads were being attacked.  Don't know about that, but that's what they told me.

Honored Contributor

If anyone is old enough to know songs from the sixties, just google Cream and get a list of songs. I’m sure many would be familiar. I’m a Clapton fan so am familiar with all their songs.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee   No never worked with Cream or Ginger word on the circuits back then was great drummer but ‘very difficult’ to work with!  Like so many others! but great musicians.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

If anyone is old enough to know songs from the sixties, just google Cream and get a list of songs. I’m sure many would be familiar. I’m a Clapton fan so am familiar with all their songs.

@proudlyfromNJ   Me too. I remember Cream songs from when they were on the radio.