Honored Contributor

GEORGE WASHINGTON'S LETTER TO TOURO SYNAGOGUE TO BE READ TODAY

President George Washington's historic letter to the oldest U.S. synagogue, supporting ideals of religious freedom, will be read there today, Sunday, August 19.

I'm not sure if this is an annual event at the historic house of worship in Newport, Rhode Island, but have vaguely heard of the ceremonial reading before.  Has anyone here been to that venerable temple in Newport?  Would love to visit it.

Very cool historic event!

Honored Contributor

Re: GEORGE WASHINGTON'S LETTER TO TOURO SYNAGOGUE TO BE READ TODAY

I've been to Newport RI many, many times.  It's my favorite get-away place for a long weekend but I have never been to that Temple or heard about that piece of history.  We'll check it out when we go to Newport in the fall.  

Honored Contributor

I have been to Newport many times and to Touro several times, it is a great peice of American History

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Yes, been to the Touro synagogue. They have trap doors where at the time of the Revolutionary War, people would use these doors to hide from the Redcoats in the basement of the synagogue.

Honored Contributor

Wow, @Shelbelle, the whole idea of trap doors in those old cellars and hiding from the redcoats--  how colorful!

I think I read that Touro is 255 years old and those old walls must have many, many a fascinating story to tell...

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for sharing. I love information like this.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Yes I was there.  My father was from Rhode Island so when I was first married my hubby and I toured R.I and went to visit this historic synagogue.