Respected Contributor

Re: *GAS INCREASE* TIPS & HACKS

Some of these tips aren't very helpful to those of us in rural areas...we have to drive 15 miles to the nearest gas station, and those mentioned are a further 10-12 miles away!  Riding bikes to get anywhere useful is also out of the question, even if we were so inclined.

We do try to combine errands, and thankfully we're nearly retired, so not driving the 50-mile round trip to work everyday--not to mention the 100 or so work-related miles DH was putting on the car every week.

We knew this would happen, but there's just not a lot of ways to prepare for it!

Honored Contributor

Our gas went up 30 cents yesterday so we are at 4.79/gallon.

Last week we were going camping and pulled into the gas station with our big dually truck.  DH got out to pump gas and the guy next to us said "oof, that's gonna be a rough one."  It cost us $112.00 to fill it up and he had more than a 1/4 tank.

I can only imagine the boats that are never going to leave the docks this year because of gas prices.  For us to fill up our boat would be close to $500.00 and that's if we pulled it out and trailored it to a gas station. I don't even want to know the cost of marine gas.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm paying about $5.50 a gallon now.  Regular is at $4.88.  Just saw that premium is hitting a high of $6.50 in my area.  Most stations are still under that for premium though.  Trending up as usual.

Respected Contributor

Today’s AAA
National Average

$4.955 

Price as of
6/8/22

We're just pennies away from $5 for a gallon of regular gas, which AAA reported, the national average at the pump on Tuesday was about $4.92.

Heading into summer, analysts predict even higher prices: According to a report by JPMorgan, the US could surpass $6.20 a gallon by August. 

Thirteen states -- Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii,  Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, Oregon and Washington --  have already blown past the $5 threshold, with California leading the pack at $6.37 a gallon.

One Chevron station in Mendocino, about 150 miles north of San Francisco, had a listed price of $9.60 a gallon on Friday afternoon.

Experts don't believe we've seen the end of rising gas prices. 

~cnet

Trusted Contributor

Something that is rarely mentioned is that running the air conditioner in your car increases gas consumption.  I learned that many years ago when my dad had a company car to run between work sites, but they would not allow him to run the air.

We've been lucky so far this year with a cool spring.  So if at all possible, and I know it's not always, don't run the air conditioner in your car to increase gas mileage. 

Honored Contributor

@MorningLover 

I paid $5.95 last week at my "cheapest" gas station.  I'm sure it's over $6 this week, but I don't even want to drive by that station now.  lol

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Didn't we all know this would happen? Woman Frustrated

@ID2 

I don't know why, but some people think our high prices are the fault of our top people here in the U.S.

Since gas prices in Europe are even higher ... some places are over $10 a gallon .... I think our govt is doing what they can.   

Gas prices are up everywhere in the world.

Honored Contributor

One of the Exxon stations near the interstate in Raleigh County, WV, has regular gas priced at $5.01.

In my area gas prices are running $4.45 - $4.69.   

We topped off our propane tank today, and the price was $3.70 a gallon.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GrailSeeker wrote:

Something that is rarely mentioned is that running the air conditioner in your car increases gas consumption.  I learned that many years ago when my dad had a company car to run between work sites, but they would not allow him to run the air.

We've been lucky so far this year with a cool spring.  So if at all possible, and I know it's not always, don't run the air conditioner in your car to increase gas mileage. 

If you drive above 35 mph with your window(s) down and forego the A/C, you are actually causing more *drag* on your car and not getting better gas mileage than if you did have the a/c on.  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Didn't we all know this would happen? Woman Frustrated

@ID2 

I don't know why, but some people think our high prices are the fault of our top people here in the U.S.

Since gas prices in Europe are even higher ... some places are over $10 a gallon .... I think our govt is doing what they can.   

Gas prices are up everywhere in the world.

The 3 largest oil companies Shell, Exon, BP had a 300% increase in 1st quarter profits.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson