Honored Contributor

Re: Funny thing my mom used to say

@shoptheQ wrote:

If my dad over cooked the toast (slightly burnt) he told us it was good for us AND we would get curly hair.

😃

Respected Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

My mom always told me not to sit on anything damp, or you would get "piles,"  TMI?!

My grandmother thought if you sat on concrete, you would get piles.  I didn't even know what that meant, but it sounded bad !!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

A few minutes ago, I couldn’t find my iPhone.  DH called to see if I could hear where it was and it was practically right in front of me.

My mother would have said, “If it had teeth, it would have bit you.”

@Noel7

This is the one I thought of when I read the OP, except my mom and grandma said, "If it was a snake it would have bit you." I STILL think of that saying when I find something that's been hiding in plain sight!  (Never mind that snakes don't have any teeth to "bite" you.) Also, my mother always had excellent grammar so it should have been "bitten" instead of "bite."  I guess none of that matters when you have a saying that's been passed down lol. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Super Contributor

My MomMom had many funny sayings. If she thought someone was cheap, she would say "he wouldn't give a nickel to see Jesus ride a bicycle". When she got startled she would say " Jesus, Mary and Joseph! Then comes the fireworks!" Those were my favorites, even though I still don't know what the fireworks one means!

Hugs . . .

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Honored Contributor

Here's one for you, my Mom who could whistle a tune like a pro, would say to us kids during a religious holiday." When children whistle the Blessed Mother Cries". Can you imagine, even as a little kid I knew that was just nonsense. We went to Catholic school and studied religion and no where did it mention such a thing. 

Respected Contributor

When my brother and I were little my Mom would tell us stories at bedtime. When the story was over we would say and then what happened. She said then the horse died. We would say what horse? There was never a horse in the story. When my children were little they liked the stories I would make up. I would say the same thing. They said what horse???

Respected Contributor

One saying my mom had was translated from the Italian:  he who falls in love with hair and teeth, falls in love with nothing.  OK, as I grew up I understood it.  As a child, I just gave her a strange look.

She shared a lot of the already posted " momisms. "

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

@LyndaGee wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

My mom always told me not to sit on anything damp, or you would get "piles,"  TMI?!

My grandmother thought if you sat on concrete, you would get piles.  I didn't even know what that meant, but it sounded bad !!!!!!

Yup--concrete was on the list of things not to sit on!!

Esteemed Contributor

Fun thread

When we were acting up, dad would threaten to take us out to the wood shed. We had no idea where that was, but it didn't sound good....

My Southern uncle had a habit of constantly interjecting  conversations with this phrase -- the 'heck' you say. It used to confuse me so much I'd stop talking to him.

Grandma would say, 'Mind your P's and Q's.' I later learned it's an Irish bar saying referring to Pints and Quarts.

Gee, I wonder what my kids would say about husband and I? (When they were telling tall tales we'd say -- Uh huh, when pigs fly)   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

When I was about twelve my Aunt said you are a young lady now. Don’t sit on boys laps. What!