Valued Contributor

Funny thing my mom used to say

I'm sure there are more but I thought of this the other day and don't know what triggered the memory. When we were little and had our Easter or Halloween candy and asked if we could have more after eating a couple pieces she would always say "No. No more or you will get the sugar diabetes" Never asked, but I wondered if there was a salt diabetes too if I ate too much salt.!

cookin

Valued Contributor

Re: Funny thing my mom used to say

This reminds me of the time when I was about seven years old, and my friend and I were eating spoonfuls of sugar (yuck) and her grandmother told us to stop it because we would get worms! 

Honored Contributor

@cookinfreak  OMG - my Mom was the queen of old sayings. She always had one on the tip of her tongue.Now she died 27 years ago but I can still hear her sometimes when a certain one of her sayings would be totally appropriate for a situation. She was the principle's secretary at my grammer school and when kids would get sent in to the principal's office they would have to wait at her desk , so , of course, she would have a saying or two for them.The kids would tease me & my brothers about her and the sayings but we'd just roll our eyes & say - we know , we live with her.

Trusted Contributor

@DearPrudence wrote:

This reminds me of the time when I was about seven years old, and my friend and I were eating spoonfuls of sugar (yuck) and her grandmother told us to stop it because we would get worms! 

Maybe gummy worms. 😉 I used to pick out the hardened clumps of brown sugar and eat them.

Valued Contributor

I briefly lived in LA. during my marriage and heard this saying. Is this more of a southern expression? 

Honored Contributor

My parents used to tell us some crazy stuff.  I wonder if they believed it. LOL

We were always told not too sit too close to the tv or we'd go blind. 

Don't cross your eyes or they will stay that way.

And my favorite, don't swallow the watermelon seeds or one will grow in your stomach.  

Respected Contributor

I was just going to say the same thing about watermelon seeds.  LOL

My mom would always say not to go outside with wet hair.  

My dad would tell me not to read unless the light was bright enough

Honored Contributor

"If something is free, take it, even if you have to walk seven miles to throw it away."

She grew up during the years of the Depression, maybe this was how people felt then.

Honored Contributor

In my house everything we ate raw would cause us to get worms.  I used to grab slices of raw potatoes and run to eat them outside.  My mom would always threaten me with the worms when food was raw or unwashed.

As a child and a teenager, I used to like to climb trees.  I would go as high I could and sit there all alone in my little world.  As an adult it is scary to think how dangerous that was. Some of those trees were over the tops of out three story home by 30-50 feet.  If I fell, I would be killed.

My mother used to yell at me” if you fall out of a tree and break your legs, don’t come running back to me.”

If I had fallen, they would have had to scrape me up.

My DH has an old super 8 movie of me climbing down from a high tree that he took when he came to visit with me and show off his new camera.  You can barely see me when I am at the top.

My kids were amazed that I could climb that high and asked why i did it when I am deathly afraid of heights...

i am afraid of heights, but somehow it never occurred to me when I was in a tree.  I must have been a strange kid.

Honored Contributor

My mom was German, and though she spoke impeccable English, she would often use .German expressions. I would ask her what they meant, but often they were just silly in English. We had a lot of good laughs over them, I miss her.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan