Honored Contributor

Re: Funny Article In 1958 Magazine...128 Ways to Get a Husband

[ Edited ]

Some of these ideas are humorous, and some would be dangerous in this day and age (#115 comes to mind) .......

I hate to disillusion folks, but this frame of mind hasn't died even in the 21st century, I know some women in my workplace and also in the organization I volunteer for where woman DESPERATELY want to get married, some are so depressed and feel so unfulfilled, and one is even seeing a therapist because she can't find a husband and would follow some of the ideas, even the bad ideas, on this list....So much for women's lib! Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Too funny!!!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

And to think that all I did was walk into a restaurant/bar with a broken arm from a car accident, LOL!

We celebrated our 25th anniversary this week!

@KingstonsMom 

Handmade Silver 25th Wedding Anniversary Greeting Card | Happy ...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

How sweet! Thank you!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Anonymous032819 

So sorry you have no sense of humor.

Oh, I have a sense of humor, I just don't find sexism particularly funny.

But, hey, if you find jokes where women are made to be manipulative, desperate, and put in to dangerous situations funny, then laugh away.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

So many just wanted to live the life of June Cleaver.  Some still do and nothing wrong with that at all.  Freedom of choice and will.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Life was much simpler and safer back in the day. But like now, things change and what was safe and fun to do back then certainly isn't now. Why not use the list to see how far we've come? And maybe what some miss may from back in the day. I'm only relating to the list and husband hunting, not to inequality or other social issues. Now I'm off to find a battleship to sneak on in my high heels and sweater and straight stocking seams LOL

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Another thing, don't be fooled by good looks.  Go for the smart ones!!

Of course handsome and smart is very good.

Esteemed Contributor

Indirectly I met my DH using one of those tips: "Get a government job ovetseas". I met DH here but our first conversation was about S.Korea, where we had both worked and we were hired by the same woman!

Esteemed Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

Life was much simpler and safer back in the day. But like now, things change and what was safe and fun to do back then certainly isn't now. Why not use the list to see how far we've come? And maybe what some miss may from back in the day. I'm only relating to the list and husband hunting, not to inequality or other social issues. Now I'm off to find a battleship to sneak on in my high heels and sweater and straight stocking seams LOL

Simpler and safer for who?

Rapes and domestic violence happened, and more often than not, the woman was not taken seriously.

Child molestation happened, but wasn't talked about.

So I ask, for whom was it simp!er and safer for?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.