Valued Contributor

Re: Funny Article In 1958 Magazine...128 Ways to Get a Husband

@shoesnbags wrote:

Well, I laughed at #5 (read the obituaries to find a widower) until I remembered my mom's best friend. When she passed away, her husband ended up marrying the woman who had been first to show up at his door to "offer sympathy."  Others came around, but that first one got her foot in the door and he married her about a year later. 

I volunteered at a nursing home and met the best ladies with their stories.  Here's one:  

One lady was married 32 years to her first husband - he passed - she ended up with someone else in their "group" they hung out with - married him (his wife had passed) and was married 32 year to him!  Can you imagine two marriages of equal number of years?  

Most of them were only married once (including my mother and MIL)  There was only 'one' man for them.  

Valued Contributor

@KingstonsMom Thank you for sharing! It was ntereting reading!

Honored Contributor

I just located a great deal yesterday about it when I googled it.  As far as not being true in the 50's I have quite a few in my family who did live the life of June Cleaver.  One Aunt and Uncle who married in the mid 50's are still going strong today together in their 80's. 

129 ways to get a husband: 1958, meet ... psychologytoday.com cringeworthy 1950s

I enjoyed the article below the best, it rated the husbands @suzyQ3 !!

https://www.villagevoice.com/2013/02/14/and-heres-the-1950s-test-that-urges-husbands-not-to-be-sissi...

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."