Honored Contributor

Re: Funny Article In 1958 Magazine...128 Ways to Get a Husband

Some of these are still ok ways to meet people. I truly hope some of them are tongue-in-cheek. A few are dangerous, demeaning, outdated, or ridiculous. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @KingstonsMom . This is quite the list. You could throw a dart at it and any of them would be a great 'meet cute' for a rom com screenplay.

49. Get better looking glasses - men still make passes at girls who wear glasses - or try contact lenses.

This one intrigued me the most. I did not know people wore contact lenses back in 1958. But it looks like the listicle article is legit and from a McCall's from 1958. It seems to be meant to be tongue in cheek. The original has headings, the last of which is WILD IDEAS - ANYTHING GOES.

124. Make and sell toupees - bald men make easy catches.

Excellent advice. That career choice could have saved me so much time. But I ended up with one with hair.

40. Stand in a corner and cry softly - chances are he'll come over to ask what's wrong.

Nope. Tried it. The man I desired to marry stood in the opposite corner crying softly and all we could do was stare at each other longingly.

33. Carry a hat box.

And paint stains on the bottom of it and write on the side, "Does NOT contain human head."

116. Paint your name and number on a roof and write 'give me a buzz pilots'.

This one works, ladies! And it's why I'm a married woman today. 

Woman LOL

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

A lot  of those "suggestions" are sexist.

They were sexist then, and they are sexist now, and it isn't funny.

And people wonder why sexual harassment was so rampant then, it's because krap like this was pushed and tolerated.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@KaySD 

Of course they're "wildly outdated" and "some sound downright risky", especially in this day and age, but the point is this was written in 1958!

@KingstonsMom

Why, yes, that's absolutely right! 

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I laughed at #5 (read the obituaries to find a widower) until I remembered my mom's best friend. When she passed away, her husband ended up marrying the woman who had been first to show up at his door to "offer sympathy."  Others came around, but that first one got her foot in the door and he married her about a year later. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

And people wonder why sexual harassment was so rampant then, it's because krap like this was pushed and tolerated.

I think most of this article was written 'tongue in cheek', waaaay back in 1958.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

#3 and read no further...learn every sport there is, if it has a ball or puck, learn about it.

Now I have to go back and read the rest of them.

Honored Contributor

Another thing, don't be fooled by good looks.  Go for the smart ones!!

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I think most of this article was written 'tongue in cheek', waaaay back in 1958.

Maybe so, but it wasn't funny in 1958, and it isn't funny in 2020, 62 years later.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

So sorry you have no sense of humor.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.