Honored Contributor

Re: Funny Article In 1958 Magazine...128 Ways to Get a Husband

The pressure put on many women to find a husband at that time was wrong in many ways.  If you didn't marry you were labeled a spinster or old maid, that must have done wonders for self esteem.  

I am thankful the stigma of a woman being single is gone in most cases.  I have seen a lot of divorces and unhappy marriages from that era and couples staying together though miserable and afraid to be on their own.

With all that being said I am proud and happy quite a number of couples  I know have reached over fifty years of marriage and that makes me feel good because I am not anti marriage.  I just feel it is a choice and to marry because of the wrong reasons and being pressured to do so is not how to find a husband.

Honored Contributor

Only a few decades later thoughts about marriage from "Harry Met Sally" 1989

Sally: Look, there is no point in my going out with someone I might really like if I met him at the right time, but who right now has no chance of being anything to me but a transitional man.

Marie: OK, but don't wait too long. Remember what happened to David Walsaw? His wife left him and everyone said, "Give him some time, don't move in too fast." Six months later he was dead.
Sally: What are you saying? I should get married to someone right away in case he's about to die?
Alice: At least you could say you were married.
Marie: I'm saying, that the right man for you might be out there right now, and if you don't grab him someone else will and you'll have spend the rest of your life knowing that someone else is married to your husband.

Love the thread @KingstonsMom 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

"When travelling stay at small hotels where it's easier to meet strangers."

Yes, that's a great idea. Good way to meet Norman Bates.

Honored Contributor

I used to read lists like this from the past.  

Some suggestions appear dangerous.  You may end up meeting someone, but you also might end up raped and dead. 

Some appear manipulative, others are ways to end up with someone incompatible.

I thank my lucky stars I don't have to think about meeting anyone anymore.  I'd be too careful scaring the right one away.  

Honored Contributor

And to think that all I did was walk into a restaurant/bar with a broken arm from a car accident, LOL!

We celebrated our 25th anniversary this week!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining 

LOL! For Sure!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

# 15!  I hope nobody would do that.  Not only desperate but dangerous, too.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Trusted Contributor

That article about "getting a husband" is straight out of a time when most women were limited to low-wage jobs and dependent on a "bread-winner." Men used women as servants, and women used men as meal tickets, and that was just how it was for most people. I wonder who still thinks this way?

Some of the items on the list are wildly outdated, some sound downright risky, and a few might be good ideas for life, though not for spouse hunting.

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom I got a serious case of giggles while reading this welcome,  hilarious article! 😂😂 Thank you for the smiles this morning!😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@KaySD 

Of course they're "wildly outdated" and "some sound downright risky", especially in this day and age, but the point is this was written in 1958!