Trusted Contributor

Re: Half-Staff Flags: Until Sunset 7/12 (Tuesday)

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I read an article in the paper the other day that questioned whether or not we were "over using" the lowering of the flag, to the point that it does not carry as much meaning. 

@Puppy Lips

Yes, I read the same article. 

Piqued my interest immensely...since I've been talking about this subject among my friends quite often...devaluing the importance of this symbol of patriotism. 

The non-government, non-military situations are what is causing the increased lowering throughout the years.

As much as I post here about flags, it's for etiquette only.  

I, personally, feel they should only be only lowered for

the death of a President, former/present.  

Yes, I would tend to agree.  When they lowered it for Whitney Houston, I could not believe it.  Sure she was a great singer.  But she died of an overdose.  Is that really the type of person we are going to honor with a flag lowering?

@Puppy Lips - while I agree - Whitney Houston did sing a mean rendition of Star Spangled Banner ... 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Half-Staff Flags: Until Sunset 7/12 (Tuesday)

@sktchy wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I read an article in the paper the other day that questioned whether or not we were "over using" the lowering of the flag, to the point that it does not carry as much meaning. 

@Puppy Lips

Yes, I read the same article. 

Piqued my interest immensely...since I've been talking about this subject among my friends quite often...devaluing the importance of this symbol of patriotism. 

The non-government, non-military situations are what is causing the increased lowering throughout the years.

As much as I post here about flags, it's for etiquette only.  

I, personally, feel they should only be only lowered for

the death of a President, former/present.  

Yes, I would tend to agree.  When they lowered it for Whitney Houston, I could not believe it.  Sure she was a great singer.  But she died of an overdose.  Is that really the type of person we are going to honor with a flag lowering?

@Puppy Lips - while I agree - Whitney Houston did sing a mean rendition of Star Spangled Banner ... 

Her rendition is the only one that was ever recorded for sale.  But that's not why the flag was lowered during her death.  If you care to know why Governor Christie ordered it, search for the information.

*Call Tyrone*