Honored Contributor

Re: Half-Staff Flags: Until Sunset 7/12 (Tuesday)

Thanks for the heads-up.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I read an article in the paper the other day that questioned whether or not we were "over using" the lowering of the flag, to the point that it does not carry as much meaning.  I won't comment on my feelings, but it was an interesting article, and something to think about.

It seems like every morning we hear of another horrible attack or tragedy that took place.  It is getting to the point where it is hard to live one's own life, and enjoy it, without constant worry of what will happen next to yourself or someone you care about.

Interesting to hear of this article. I'd like to read it. I was just thinking it seems as though the flag is so often at half staff anymore... It used to be a rare occurrence... I'm not saying it's appropriate or not, just that is seems to have become somewhat commonplace...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I read an article in the paper the other day that questioned whether or not we were "over using" the lowering of the flag, to the point that it does not carry as much meaning.  I won't comment on my feelings, but it was an interesting article, and something to think about.

It seems like every morning we hear of another horrible attack or tragedy that took place.  It is getting to the point where it is hard to live one's own life, and enjoy it, without constant worry of what will happen next to yourself or someone you care about.

Interesting to hear of this article. I'd like to read it. I was just thinking it seems as though the flag is so often at half staff anymore... It used to be a rare occurrence... I'm not saying it's appropriate or not, just that is seems to have become somewhat commonplace...

@stevieb

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/06/15/obama-flags-at-half-staff-proclamations/85891...

Interesting article...and I believe a Sunday AM show did a piece on this, as well.

It came around the time when I felt I was the only one noticing this.  

Why?  

After the Proclamation ends (i.e. when flags should return to full-staff), I would drive around for days...and sometimes WEEKS...and the flags would still be down.  I would call that respective business & they would say 'we forgot' the majority of the time.   And that reasoning just hurts my heart.  

This is a bipartisan article.  Just facts.

We've placed more emotion to the flag over the years, thus lowering it for non-military/government occurrences.  Hurricane Katrina was one of the first natural disaster lowerings.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@stevieb

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/06/15/obama-flags-at-half-staff-proclamations/85891...

Interesting article...and I believe a Sunday AM show did a piece on this, as well.

It came around the time when I felt I was the only one noticing this.  

Why?  

After the Proclamation ends (i.e. when flags should return to full-staff), I would drive around for days...and sometimes WEEKS...and the flags would still be down.  I would call that respective business & they would say 'we forgot' the majority of the time.   And that reasoning just hurts my heart.  

This is a bipartisan article.  Just facts.

We've placed more emotion to the flag over the years, thus lowering it for non-military/government occurrences.  Hurricane Katrina was one of the first natural disaster lowerings.    

Thanks for the link @sidsmom. I'll look forward to reading it... It seems that in recent years, there's also been a (I hesitate to say it...) 'political correctness' quotient component too, accompanying some instances of the half-staff thing... I'm not saying that's right or wrong, I'm just sayin'...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it is much over-used now.  Considering the times, I think we should NOT lower it ever.  It would show that whatever happens, the Nation goes on.  Isn't that what it is all about?  One Nation--United?

There is a longer poem from which these words were lifted:

Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Trusted Contributor

I know what to do about it too.

Winkk

Honored Contributor

@lovestopaint What? wiiink...

Honored Contributor

Re: 🇺🇸 Full Staff Flags: Reminder to raise 7/13 🇺🇸

I think they should stay lowered longer, and feel it is out of respect we do this,we need more RESPECT, in our country.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Puppy Lips

Just to clarify, the Whitney Houston lowering was NOT a national

President's Proclamation.  Lowering the flags to half-staff, in her honor, was a New Jersey governor state decision only. 

Yes, and Governor Christie ordered it that way because of how much $$$ she had given to youth programs in the state over the span of her career.

All of this can be found with a google search (maybe).  I do remember this coming from his very own mouth.

Okay, thank you for the clarification!

Since you ignored my question I am guessing you are not and what we do in NJ really has no bearing on anyone who does not live there. I was for the flag being lowered and since I am a NJ taxpayer  I see it as a good thing.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@sidsmom,

I really appreciate your postings about flag etiquette. I came from a long history of military family so it's been important to me my whole life. It's good to see some people, like yourself, take note of such importance as this.

@SilleeMee - Thanks for recognizing/acknowledging sidsmom in helping us keep our flag etiquette straight.  I think it is important to keep these traditions alive and true.