Regular Contributor

Re: Half-Staff Flags: Until Sunset 7/12 (Tuesday)

Thank you for this notice @sidsmom.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I read an article in the paper the other day that questioned whether or not we were "over using" the lowering of the flag, to the point that it does not carry as much meaning. 

@Puppy Lips

Yes, I read the same article. 

Piqued my interest immensely...since I've been talking about this subject among my friends quite often...devaluing the importance of this symbol of patriotism. 

The non-government, non-military situations are what is causing the increased lowering throughout the years.

As much as I post here about flags, it's for etiquette only.  

I, personally, feel they should only be only lowered for

the death of a President, former/present.  

Yes, I would tend to agree.  When they lowered it for Whitney Houston, I could not believe it.  Sure she was a great singer.  But she died of an overdose.  Is that really the type of person we are going to honor with a flag lowering?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I read an article in the paper the other day that questioned whether or not we were "over using" the lowering of the flag, to the point that it does not carry as much meaning. 

@Puppy Lips

Piqued my interest immensely...since I've been talking about this subject among my friends quite often...devaluing the importance of this symbol of patriotism. 

The non-government, non-military situations are what is causing the increased lowering throughout the years.

Yes, I would tend to agree.  When they lowered it for Whitney Houston, I could not believe it.  Sure she was a great singer.  But she died of an overdose.  Is that really the type of person we are going to honor with a flag lowering?

You don't understand why Gov Christie order the flag half staff for her?  You should research his reasoning.  It had nothing to do with her being a singer.  It had more to do with what she (personally/financially) did for New Jersey.  SMH.

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Puppy Lips

Oh your from NJ?

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips

Just to clarify, the Whitney Houston lowering was NOT a national

President's Proclamation.  Lowering the flags to half-staff, in her honor, was a New Jersey governor state decision only. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Puppy Lips

President's Proclamation.  Lowering the flags to half-staff, in her honor, was a New Jersey governor state decision only. 

Yes, and Governor Christie ordered it that way because of how much $$$ she had given to youth programs in the state over the span of her career.

All of this can be found with a google search (maybe).  I do remember this coming from his very own mouth.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

image.jpeg

This is how I feel about the mess... But I don't know what to do about it!

I thought about you the other day when this all took place since I knew you are in the DFW area.  I am about 80 miles away and  at a loss of what I could do.  So, on Friday I sent a tweet to my local police dept. here in Tyler.  A small thing but still I wanted to tell them thank you for being my protector here at home.  The downtown memorial today with the balloons released was beautiful. All police in the country need I our support.  My prayers to Dallas.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Puppy Lips

Yes, and Governor Christie ordered it that way because of how much $$$ she had given to youth programs in the state over the span of her career.

All of this can be found with a google search (maybe).  I do remember this coming from his very own mouth.

Okay, thank you for the clarification!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

My brother is at the Dallas Memorial going on now.

Honored Contributor

My thoughts go out to those affected in ALL of these tragedies lately.

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting (since we bought this house over 15 years ago) for my husband to put up the flag-hanging apparatus I purchased at that time.   Smiley Happy  My flags have had to live inside the house.