Honored Contributor

Those who want to believe, then you do you.

There was only one study that had a possible correlation between the full moon and elevated behavior with schizophrenics, but only less than .01%.  The study was dismissed.

We know about tides so the constant posts about them are redundant.

It still stands that the tides are affected but the severity depends upon the location on the earth.

The issue is how many admissions during the full moon vs. how many admissions during other phases.

People respond to the full moon based on belief systems; as such behaviors are exhibited because they believe the full moon is the cause.

People with mental illness are not ignorant; they believe the full moon sets off more intense behaviors in them and as such the intensity is not due to the full moon but the belief that they will respond because they learned it is so.

Keep in mind myths go back as far as Babylonian times; superstitions developed  and continued through the centuries.

People in certain professions are just as vulnerable to believe in myths and therefore apply behaviors to the myth.

As I said, "you" do "you".

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

We see it even on this forum.  A tussle starts over whatever topic and somebody will post "must be a full moon".  Tongue-in-cheek, maybe, but another example of fitting the behavior to the myth.

Honored Contributor

We always know at work when it's a full moon without having to look at the calendar.

Some clients really go off the rails about stuff and the calls coming in get weirder.  We even have had clients come in and then refuse to sign documents or conduct any business because it's a full moon.   

Respected Contributor

Any ER nurse will tell you it's true.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

There are studies out there usually disproving theories of full moons and everything from the mentally ill to crime to women's cycles.

When one hears that the full moon affects anything, one will see it happening because it is believed.  In other words, they fit the behavior to the full moon when the same behavior occurs during othe phases of the moon.

People react to myths and superstitions because they believe them to be true.

There's a word for that description but I can't, for the life of me, think of what that word is! 

I racked my brain last night on this...lol!

I could only come up with:

COINCIDENTAL CORRELATION

I'm sure there are other words or phrases which basically mean the same thing.

Respected Contributor

My dad worked as a security guard at a small hospital for many years...he said he could definitely tell a difference in the ER during a full moon. He's not a "superstitious" type.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

The OP cant actually be seriius, right? OMG!.. Comments like that help me understand why we are in so many huge messes at this time.....if you make a few leaps to make that connection. 

You said it, @Goldengate8361 !

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

People find they have lots of communication and logistical problems during a Mercury Retrograde too. But it's not because of Mercury. It's because they follow astrology and they know it's a Mercury Retrograde so they expect problems and that goes a long way to noticing and even causing them.

Same thing with the full moon. It gets talked about. It's general knowledge when it's a full moon. Just like a Friday the 13th. People who are already primed to expect strangeness are looking for it and will find it, and even accidentally cause it. And people who are already primed to expect to feel strange and wild will find themselves feeling and acting that way.

Also, the moon and sun are very deeply rooted in ancient spirituality. We have extremely deep connections with them that extend way beyond anything science can explain. Just the human tradition of everyone looking up and seeing the same moon and noticing the regularity with how it appears to change. How it appears to become pregnant, how it helps to mark the passing of time. Those thousands of years of attention and faith have shaped who and how we are as humans. That is nothing to dismiss.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@ProudMa

I don't follow Astrology. All I know is there have been many times in my life that I didn't feel well for no apparent reason and boom! A full moon! Therefore, I attributed the discomfort to the Full Moon. I don't  care if it's proven scientifically or not. There are many things in life that cannot be proven scientifically. 

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

We always know at work when it's a full moon without having to look at the calendar.

Some clients really go off the rails about stuff and the calls coming in get weirder.  We even have had clients come in and then refuse to sign documents or conduct any business because it's a full moon.   

@Lipstickdiva   The full moon did not cause this.  It is their belief system that causes them not to sign documents.

They believe in the myth of "bad moon rising" (sorry John Fogerty) and apply it.  They believe in bad luck during a full moon. 

People who exhibit aberrant behavior during a full moon are not controlled by the moon; they are controlled by their own superstitious beliefs and act accordingly.

Some people are just off the rails anyway and the full moon "excuse" is just that-"the moon made me do it".

Also those observing others behavior will blame the moon; and dismiss that those behaviors also occur during other phases of the moon.

Like I said, everyone can believe what they want.