Respected Contributor

@ProudMa wrote:

Im 70 years old and have always been effected by the full moon....sleepless nights, skin isues, irritable....

I mentioned to my Doctor (man)..he didnt snicker but dismissed it....the nurse smiled and said, Doctor Ive had those symptoms  my entire life, she is right...

Small point but I wonder if the nurse was being kind or if anyone else notices changes in yourself..

@ProudMa ~ Same, for me.

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

There are more babies born during a full moon.  Mentally ill patients become more unstable. 

It's also known people can become nervous and jittery during a full moon.  

More people admitted to ER's.

Ocean tides are caused by the combination of motion and gravity among the moon, sun and Earth.  

All have been written about the powerful influence of the moon for years.  Try asking a female doctor.  

@Foxxee   There is no correlation between a full moon and births,

mental illness, ER admissions.

People are "jittery" because they believe the full moon indicates something bad will happen.

There is some indication that the brightness of the full moon can cause sleep issues, which can lead to lack of quality sleep.

We know about tides and the moon, etc. but even those are not consistent depending upon location on the earth.

Anecdotal stories without scientific back-up will not matter no matter who tells them.

Studies are often skewered to obtain desired results, including methods of data collection.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@ProudMa wrote:

Im 70 years old and have always been effected by the full moon....sleepless nights, skin isues, irritable....

I mentioned to my Doctor (man)..he didnt snicker but dismissed it....the nurse smiled and said, Doctor Ive had those symptoms  my entire life, she is right...

Small point but I wonder if the nurse was being kind or if anyone else notices changes in yourself..

@ProudMa 

(Trying to not be dismissive here)   Nope.  Sorry, but I cannot relate to what you've stated ... at all.

However, I've heard that hospital emergency rooms get a little crazy during full moons, but that could just be opinions, not actual facts..

Honored Contributor

Re: Full Moon and Women

[ Edited ]

I think I believe it, mainly because 'I'm under the impression' that the moon affects gravity, the ocean, plants, and probably other things.  Maybe animals, insects?, etc., etc.

And, looking back, in the seventies/eighties, I knew a few people (who didn't know each other) who worked with the public, and they each told me that, where they worked, they could predict the 'crazy' (in their words, not mine) phone calls that came into their offices. 

So is it coincidence?   

There should be some type of research.  Would be interesting, to say the least.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@EatWell wrote:

I am scared to death during the full moon.  Causes me to have nightmares.  😱 I have to wedge a chair up against my door.

9611F64E-489D-4E68-862F-2A502EAF95FF.gif

00FA4D21-4762-47E8-8F44-F3B61E0A0A71.jpeg

4D0325A2-AB2D-4D7C-AFFF-97AFC6069496.gif

@EatWell Quit watching the news and you won't see stuff like this!  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: Full Moon and Women

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

There are studies out there usually disproving theories of full moons and everything from the mentally ill to crime to women's cycles.

When one hears that the full moon affects anything, one will see it happening because it is believed.  In other words, they fit the behavior to the full moon when the same behavior occurs during othe phases of the moon.

People react to myths and superstitions because they believe them to be true.

There's a word for that description but I can't, for the life of me, think of what that word is! 

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

There are studies out there usually disproving theories of full moons and everything from the mentally ill to crime to women's cycles.

When one hears that the full moon affects anything, one will see it happening because it is believed.  In other words, they fit the behavior to the full moon when the same behavior occurs during othe phases of the moon.

There's a word for that description but I can't, for the life of me, think of what that word is! 

@SilleeMee @Confirmation bias. It is a type of cognitive bias.

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I think I believe it, mainly because 'I'm under the impression' that the moon affects gravity, the ocean, plants, and probably other things.  Maybe animals, insects?, etc., etc.

And, looking back, in the seventies/eighties, I knew a few people (who didn't know each other) who worked with the public, and they each told me that, where they worked, they could predict the 'crazy' (in their words, not mine) phone calls that came into their offices. 

So is it coincidence?   

There should be some type of research.  Would be interesting, to say the least.

@ROMARY   They fit the scene to the myth.

There are many studies that do not reach the conclusion that the full moon causes such indcidences as mentioned throughout this thread.

People expect behavior to be more abnormal, and so fit the scene to the myth.

There are people who believe that they, themselves, exhibit abnormal behavior during the full moon and act accordingly.

Studies have been done in reputable medical journals and universities.

However, if one want to subscribe to any type of sci-fi magazine, you might find different conclusions.  LOL

Respected Contributor

We should believe in science.  I really try to and want to.  However, I was a teacher in a public school for 33 years.  Fact or fiction, we dealt with more unusual behaviors in kids during the phase of the full moon.  

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@SilleeMee 

Self-fulfilling prophecy?

@Anonymous032819   SFP can be a result of confirmation bias.

Which is a subset of cognitive bias.

So yes, you are technically on the right track but I don't think she is looking for that phrase.

Valued Contributor

@Cakers3 @SilleeMee 

Power of suggestion?