Honored Contributor

Re: Frustration With Phone Company - Venting

I also have had a land line phone connection for going on 30 years.  A couple of years ago I also had stactic on my land line phone lines... they came out and did something in the box on the street and it went away.   I had very good service  and they even called to ask me if the problem had been fixed.

I hope that they come out and fix it for you and that your phones are up and running again.

My internet is connected to my land line so if my phone went out so would my computer connection.... that would drive me bonkers!

Esteemed Contributor

All the wiring for this home is underground. I love a landline with extensions throughout the house and have never had an outage with it. Yes, it is more expensive than my cell phone but it's so much more dependable and clearer . . . and I'm able to chat for hours with friends if we feel like it (no batteries dieing). Don't even bring my cell into the house anymore; it lives in my car and is seldom even turned on! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

We dumped our landline five years ago....so glad we did because we had similar problems as others posted here. Now we are having problems with completely incompetent employees with our iPhone carrier. I don't think it's possible to have any kind of phone service without problems, especially when the person you are speaking to is sitting at his kitchen table halfway around the world. Yesterday I gave my acct number three times to the guy online....they have no actual phone number, of course, and he typed that there was no account with that number. Does that mean I don't have to pay the bill then?
Honored Contributor

I think that's just the price you pay for living like it's 1968.  I'm floored that people have so many landlines in one house.  Our printer/fax is hooked to the landline, that's the only reason why we have it.  We don't even have a phone for it.  I do know one or two older people who have s landline....one single phone....just in case.  I do wonder if that makes much sense.  I think if the cell phone towers are down in a catastrophe all the telephone lines will be down too.  

Honored Contributor

I,m confused. When one says they have 3 landlines do they mean three different phone numbers or just three telephones?

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

I am a land line person here, don't like cell phones unless emergency calls.

last week my internet went wild, it would work then not work then work then wouldn't connect. i could not hook up any of my ipads or dh couldn't hook up his small lap top either, it was just going wild.

I went to facebook and put the problem out on facebook for my community I belong too. I got 20 replies all the same the box on the outside of the house went bad replace and you should be back in business. it took 2 calls to verizon to get someone to take me seriously to come out and replace the box, but i got a new outside fios box and am back in business again, no problems. 

verizon sometimes does not take people seriously and you have to really get angry, for them to send out a tech to fix the problem.

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi

I am also in AZ.  My 3 phones are all the same number.  Today another tech was supposed to come between 8 am and noon.  At 12:30 I got a msg on my cell phone that he would be there around 1pm.  At 1:30 I got another msg that he was starting work on the problem, but not on the premises.  I assume he was at the big box thing they have with all the connections.  I never heard from him again.  Around 4pm 2 phone company trucks were parked in front my house.  I went outside and 2 guys were working on the phone line on the side of my garage.  One guy said they were called because the other tech couldn't fix the problem so they were just getting started.  In a few minutes both of the trucks were gone so I assumed they went to the big box.  Finally, around 5:45 my phone rang and the tech said "Your phone is working for now."  I am relieved but still upset about all this and how it was handled.  As someone mentioned, the cost to maintain landlines is going up - so is my phone bill little by little.  It makes me wonder how their techs are trained that it took 4 different techs and over 3 days to fix this problem. 

Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl

Like you, I like having 3 different phones around the house for convenience.  I have a basic Tracfone cell which I've had to carry around with me since Monday afternoon with my landlines being dead.  Normally, I just keep the Tracfone in my purse for emergencies.  But at this point I don't want to go to a cell phone for my main phone. 

Honored Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

@Desertdi

I am also in AZ.  My 3 phones are all the same number.  Today another tech was supposed to come between 8 am and noon.  At 12:30 I got a msg on my cell phone that he would be there around 1pm.  At 1:30 I got another msg that he was starting work on the problem, but not on the premises.  I assume he was at the big box thing they have with all the connections.  I never heard from him again.  Around 4pm 2 phone company trucks were parked in front my house.  I went outside and 2 guys were working on the phone line on the side of my garage.  One guy said they were called because the other tech couldn't fix the problem so they were just getting started.  In a few minutes both of the trucks were gone so I assumed they went to the big box.  Finally, around 5:45 my phone rang and the tech said "Your phone is working for now."  I am relieved but still upset about all this and how it was handled.  As someone mentioned, the cost to maintain landlines is going up - so is my phone bill little by little.  It makes me wonder how their techs are trained that it took 4 different techs and over 3 days to fix this problem. 

@Catty2    It's not "just" the phone company.    I have had a number of repairs on the house that had to be re-done.    In 2 cases, the original repairman actually walked off the job....and I had to find someone else.   I don't know what to say.   Poor training -- lack of interest in their job? di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Got rid of the landline about 20 years ago and have no problems.  I would put my money on the fact that the phone company will maintain the tower better than an individual line.  Plus you can patch the outouts and have a prettier wall.