Honored Contributor
I live in SoCal and never heard of Gelson’s. 🤨
Nothing on that list is close to me except Walmart and I won’t shop there.
I like Sprouts but they are out of my way on the other side of town.
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 

I agree in spring/summer/early fall our local Farmer's Markets are the best place to get produce that is locally grown.  The less time it takes to go from farm to table, the fresher it is and the more nutrients.  Wegman's and Whole Foods are great too and Whole Foods with Amazon Prime.  Gotta love that.

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe 

I shopped at a Gelson's in Newport Beach near Fashion Island.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Fruits and vegetables

[ Edited ]

We have a Central Market not far from us....but they are so over-the-top expensive I rarely buy produce there other than Hatch chilis when they come in....$6.99 a lb for yellow onions? I just think that is too much....so is over $1.25 for each banana when you buy a bunch of four....

Honored Contributor

This post just reminded me of something funny that happened last week.

So, I met my oldest daughter for lunch on Wednesday because she was hoping to go to the beach with her family for Mother's Day.

She gave me an amazing bouquet of flowers, a wonderful card (mailed me another card from her children) and when I opened the bag it had two bananas and 2 apples in it!

OK, so you're wondering why!  Well, it's an inside family joke that I'm terrible about picking out fruit.

She manages all of my business accounts from when my husband died (i.e. taxes, you name it).  She's on all of my accounts (my other two daughters aren't).  It's easier that way.  So she is a wonderful daughter and I couldn't manage without her.

Here's what I think makes it funny.  I'd been telling all three girls I was going to 'gift' them some money every year so they could enjoy it before I died.

This daughter has given me some wonderful thought gifts for my birthday and Christmas and so on.  We've never thought about the value of a gift, but it must come from the heart.  Which is what the fruit did.

But, the funny part was I handed her a card with a check in it as part of the money I gifted them every year from now on.

When I saw this it made me think of our exchanges. I don't know where she got the fruit but it looks wonderful!

Respected Contributor

What a timely article !  Just yesterday I was remembering how my paternal grandfather who lived up the street from us would plant the whole backyard of our house by himself.  

We had spring peas, green beans, cues, tomatoes, green peppers, cabbage, lettuce, cantaloupe, eggplant, radishes, onions, garlic and carrots.  Of course, I can’t forget the peach trees.  Never realized how lucky we were !  

Only one drawback: because my bedroom was in the back of the house and we slept with windows open ( no A/C ), I had to endure the horrible smell of chicken manure !!!

Then in the afternoon, he would walk to the cement plant and work a full shift and walk back home.  My dad took us kids over to the cement plant one day: no wonder my granddad became hard of hearing....the crushing stone sound was overwhelming!

He was a strong old man: after his leg was amputated at the knee in his early 70’s, he still worked as a bartender!  He was quiet and never raised his voice.  I was the first grandchild and since my dad was in the Pacific theater, we lived with them.  He carried me around all the time: people thought I would never learn to walk !  I was his favorite, no doubt.

I was there when he passed away: could see him sitting in the bed with nurses bustling about.  He could look up and out the clear plastic curtain and see me wave.  Because everybody else took so long at his bedside, I could only look at him with tears in my eyes and wave.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

What a timely article !  Just yesterday I was remembering how my paternal grandfather who lived up the street from us would plant the whole backyard of our house by himself.  

We had spring peas, green beans, corn, cues, tomatoes, green peppers, cabbage, lettuce, cantaloupe, eggplant, radishes, onions, garlic and carrots.  Of course, I can’t forget the peach trees.  Never realized how lucky we were !  

Only one drawback: because my bedroom was in the back of the house and we slept with windows open ( no A/C ), I had to endure the horrible smell of chicken manure !!!

Then in the afternoon, he would walk to the cement plant and work a full shift and walk back home.  My dad took us kids over to the cement plant one day: no wonder my granddad became hard of hearing....the crushing stone sound was overwhelming!

He was a strong old man: after his leg was amputated at the knee in his early 70’s, he still worked as a bartender!  He was quiet and never raised his voice.  I was the first grandchild and since my dad was in the Pacific theater, we lived with them.  He carried me around all the time: people thought I would never learn to walk !  I was his favorite, no doubt.

I was there when he passed away: could see him sitting in the bed with nurses bustling about.  He could look up and out the clear plastic curtain and see me wave.  Because everybody else took so long at his bedside, I could only look at him with tears in my eyes and wave.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@2blonde   I have not been to either Willoughby or Mentor, but think they are considerably East of here.  Regardless, it's nice to hear your experience with good service at Heinen's compares with mine.  

Your mention of limited stock reminded me of one of the characteristics that I especially appreciate about them -- they are a grocery market, so do not sell small appliances, an abundance of cosmetics, etc.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Of course Farmers Market veggies are usually best and I like to buy local. I don't really have a favorite store to buy veggies from. I have yet to find tomatoes in the north/east that taste like tomatoes in the winter.

Honored Contributor

Where I live, I have noticed that almost every store I visit has fresh beautiful produce...even the discount stores and Walmart. I don't see any difference in the quality, just prices.

I do shop at Wegman's on occasion, they are 30 minutes from me. They do have a lot more variety and the prices on some fruits and veggies are priced well, but not all of them.

I do buy a whole lot more of veggies than fruit, because veggies are my favorite food group.