Respected Contributor

@2blonde   Besides for quality, do you agree that Heinen's variety of produce is outstanding?  I've seen, and tried, fruits that I had not heard of before.  I also think they take particular care in their displays.

I've told it before, but here is an example of the staff's helpfulness.  One day, when I couldn't find it on my own, I asked the woman behind the bakery counter for a particular kind of bread.  She told me it was sold out, so I thanked her and went on my way to finish shopping.

Some time later, I couldn't believe it when she brought me a hot loaf of freshly baked bread!  She had baked it then searched for me throughout the store, eventually finding me loading my things onto the conveyor at check-out.  Being the wise-acre, I joked, "What, no butter?"  Woman Wink  Then I thanked her profusely.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I agree with other posters that the Farmer's Market in Spring/Summer are the best and the freshest.  I also believe Whole Foods has an excellent Produce Dept.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

All of my grocery stores, including Walmart buy fresh from local farmers.  Choice is limited to what they grow. Not all fruits and vegetables grow well in all states.  

There is one local store in my area, similar to Wegmans 10 miles away, offers pretty much the same variety, but it doesn't support the local farmers as much as Walmart and the others.  I'd rather support our local farmers even if there's not as much variety. 

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I agree with other posters that the Farmer's Market in Spring/Summer are the best and the freshest.  I also believe Whole Foods has an excellent Produce Dept.

In this locale, when our farmer's markets are selling not-yet-in-season produce, they have acquired them from the same broker warehouses that supply the grocery stores.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

One mile from Weggies.  Love!

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Of course the farmer's market has the very best fruits & vegies, esp. this time of year. So fresh, sweet and taste fabulous!!! Find yours and you will love it!!!!

Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG   Yes!  This is typical of Heinen's service IMO.  At which store do you shop?  I usually shop at the Willoughby store, which is older and smaller, so they are somewhat limited in what they can stock, but I like the personal service there.  I also occasionally shop at the Mentor store, which is larger.  I live right between them, but there are many others in this region.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

I buy a lot of produce at sams club and walmart.   To me the prices are better.   And where I live they both have a lot of variety.

I don't subscribe to consumer reports but I bought a car years back that they top rated and it was the worst car ever so I take what they say with a grain of salt.

Honored Contributor

I buy a lot of frozen fruits/vegetables.

Not too picky...gets the job done. 🌼💛

Honored Contributor

We have Fresh Thymes here along w/Lucky's (orig in CO), Whole Foods, a couple of our bigger grocers are GE Market Distrist, in all enough to choose from for my liking. Through summert time we may visit 'real' armers markets too.

We grow a number of all sorts of veggies - typical and not so much so we eat very fresh as good as it may grow.