Respected Contributor

I am disgusted with my Samsung front-loader. I used to love it,  but it does not drain properly so leaks. I have had the repair people out twice and they can't find anything wrong with it. I am not sure that I want a front loader again only because of the grime and mold that grow on the rubber door gasket. I wipe it dry with a paper towel but it is still quite dirty. Which type of washer do you prefer? I have not had any difficulty with my Samsung Dryer so I will keep that. These appliances are 6 years old. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Front Loader or Top Loader?

I like my top loader that does not have a traditional agitator although I have to be careful loading it.  

Super Contributor

I have a samsung dryer , for 1 yr with no problems .

I have a top loading washer which I love , no back breaking bending to put in clothes and take out like in  the front loader .I love just dropping  the clothes in the top loader , never had any problems .

Clothes always come out  the top loader clean and it holds a lot .

Trusted Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I am disgusted with my Samsung front-loader. I used to love it,  but it does not drain properly so leaks. I have had the repair people out twice and they can't find anything wrong with it. I am not sure that I want a front loader again only because of the grime and mold that grow on the rubber door gasket. I wipe it dry with a paper towel but it is still quite dirty. Which type of washer do you prefer? I have not had any difficulty with my Samsung Dryer so I will keep that. These appliances are 6 years old. 

@conlt  I have a Samsung front-loader.  It's 2 years old and I like it.  I had a top-loader before and it wrung the heck out of our clothes.  Things were twisted in knots and the wrinkles didn't come out.  It was always off balance and the washer would shake back and forth, making a loud, loud noise.  It would race around the laundry room floor if I didn't catch it right away.  I left that at a previous house, without any regret.

I leave my washer door open with a clothes pin in the door latch, so it can dry out between laundry days.

I cannot recommend a top-loading washer.

Respected Contributor

I can relate, I've had three front loaders. One was ok, the other two rarely spun enough water out and had the moldy smell in the door gasket. I've had a top loading Whirlpool at my desert house for ten years and I LOVE IT ! it has extra huge load capacity and hand wash cycles that are great. I wouldn't trade it for anything. 

Honored Contributor

Speed queen , after a lifetime of washers, this is the best i have ever had.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

I had a Sears Kenmore for 30 years. No problems,  then the moter went out and decided to get with the time and get a frontloader. I like it because it doesn't use as much water and after we are dun doing a load we leave the door open over night to dry out that way we have never had an issue with a smell, however I liked My old washer ( I'm going to show my age) because I liked to die things. Like when our jeans would fade out I would die them navy and they would look new again. You can't do that with a front loader.

Trusted Contributor

I have the LG front loader and will never have another front loader again…for the same reasons you stated.  I hate leaving the door open all the time and yet I still have mold that appears on the rubber door gasket.  I wipe it down with bleach water, but once it is there you really never get rid of it completely.  I’ll go back to top loading from now on…probably without the agitator pole.  I will also never buy LG washer/dryers again…the service is horrible and I live in a major metropolitan area.  There are only 2 service options for LG washer/dryers and they are both worthless.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

I'm going back to a top loader. I got a front loader because I'm short and would have to stand on my tip toes to reach into the bottom of the  washer

My husband continually drains water from our front loader and uses bleach in it to cut out the musty smell

Honored Contributor

I have had a Whirlpool front loader that I purchased from Costco for about 8 years.  I leave the door to the washer open except when using and I run the clean cycle every couple of months.  There is not any mold, grime or a smell.