Esteemed Contributor

From those of you who have done it... What sells well at a yard sale?

I turned down an opportunity to be part of a yard sale.  I really did clean out before the invite and either donated or gave my daughters some things THEY ACTUALLY NEEDED OR ASKED FOR. 

But I am wondering if there are items that if the opportunity comes again.. that people really want or buy.   (I have no chidrens clothing)  I have bikes, exercise bikes, china, crystal, silverware.  Lots of glass plates and and china statues, etc. 

Honored Contributor

Re: From those of you who have done it... What sells well at a yard sale?

I've had many yard/garage sales and can say that it really depends on the "climate" of where you are.  Sometimes it's all about clothing and practical items while another time it'll be collectibles/antiques (old stuff) or other times it's totally household.  But I'd encourage you to go for it the next time the opportunity arrives, it's a lot of fun and you get to pocket some cash for items no longer needed.... Woman Happy 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@bonnielu   Just my take on it....Donate everything to GoodWill or some charity and take a tax write off.

Yard/ garage sales are a lot of work....people will try to get everything for nothing...you have stranger/ weirdos at your home ( danger....)

I had a yard sale and

NEVER WILL AGAIN!

Respected Contributor

I agree with the other poster, it all depends where you are.  I had plenty of garage sales at my old house (it was an association wide sale and very popular).  I sold anything and everything.  Clothes and toys were always very popular.  I had our first garage sale at our new home last April, another neighborhood/association wide sale).  Hardly any clothes sold, and MANY were never worn with tags.  Plus, at my old home there were many, many more people.  Cars would line the streets.  None of that at my new home.  It is a lot of work and every year I tell my husband I don't want to do it anymore, but we always do.  We always seem to make good money.  The least we ever made was around $250.  One time we made a little over $600!

Esteemed Contributor

I've never had one - and never will.  I give lots of stuff to Good Will or to friends if they want.  I've heard some stories how bargain hunters show up at dawn - disregard the set time of the sale - and work you down in price.  I just don't need $40 that badly.  I say - think it through before you do it.

Honored Contributor

I've made anywhere from close to $2,000 to $300 or so.  I haven't had many.  Usually the junk sells great.  Never ceases to amaze me.  People will buy anything!  

Honored Contributor

Small word of caution however.... if you decide to have a garage sale, never ever allow someone into your house to use the bathroom or phone or anything!  Tell them where the nearest restroom might be (Starbucks, etc.) but never allow anyone into your home.  Some use yard sales in order to "case" a house intending to comeback later and break in!.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

After my MIL died, my SIL had a yard sale of all the household items the siblings didn't want.   Everything sold that day; furniture, dishes, glassware, lamps, kitchen table, mirrors, pictures, etc.   I think she made over $1100 from the sale which went into the estate monies.  

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

Small word of caution however.... if you decide to have a garage sale, never ever allow someone into your house to use the bathroom or phone or anything!  Tell them where the nearest restroom might be (Starbucks, etc.) but never allow anyone into your home.  Some use yard sales in order to "case" a house intending to comeback later and break in!.... 

Good advice, I always tell people my "husband" is sleeping or the Rottweiler won't let anyone in.    It's hard to say no but.....these are the times we live in.

I had one, never have another.   I really don't have anything to sell, if I see something I no longer want, it goes to the Thrift store.

@bonnielu

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@bonnielu   Just my take on it....Donate everything to GoodWill or some charity and take a tax write off.

Yard/ garage sales are a lot of work....people will try to get everything for nothing...you have stranger/ weirdos at your home ( danger....)

I had a yard sale and

NEVER WILL AGAIN!

And when it's over you have to bring all that stuff back into the house or garage or shed...