Regular Contributor

Re: Friendship over because hurricane Harvey

Oh Madie,

Wish we could make this horrible event "go away" .... people are desperate and cruel ... your safety was foremost, and people were warned.   Do not take on this burden of guilt, you are a good person...hugs to you and may you stay strong.  @madie

Honored Contributor

@madie

Please use paragraphs.  I'd like to read what you have said, but it's an eyestrain.

You will get a better response not using a large block of unbroken text.

Trusted Contributor

@madie Life is a series of choices, it sounds like you made the right ones and they made the poor ones. I can't believe they were victims of floods before, yet treated it so lightly. Their fault, not yours... I'd be angry because they didn't respect you enough, they wanted you to go into a place that flash floods. They didn't care that you may be hurt, it was all about them. These aren't friends by any stretch of the word. JMO

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for making the paragraph This is my first Forum I didn't realize the print was so tiny thank you again
Honored Contributor

Here is how I see it.

People, given enough warning like this, need to do what they can do for themselves. Not everyone has the same skills or abilities or resources, but each person/family, needs to do everything within their power to help themselves first (because if you go down, you are not only of no help to anyone else, but you are a burden). And they need to do so in a timely manner to avoid the last minute panic.

You did your part. You and your husband worked to secure yourselves as best as you possibly could. 

Then, we turn ourselves to the service of others. And in doing so, that doesn't mean we risk our lives or our own security because they chose to do nothing. You did offer them and animals a place to stay, and in my opinion, that is going above and beyond. I don't think, even in hind sight, you should have risked yourself to go pick up a dog. 

I'm sorry, I love animals, and I'd walk through fire to save mine, but people like your friends are used to people bailing them out at the 11th hour, and they will continue to expect if it others continue to do it. 

Yes tensions are very high there, and much of it because people like your friends didn't prepare well ahead, like you mentioned having a way to get the animals moved in proper vehicles, doing it early and having contingency plans.

Again, there are so many people I've seen coming off of trucks and boats out of these flooded areas, in wheel chairs, on walkers and canes, disabled and elderly.....these are the people who need other's help. They are unable to fend for themselves in crises like this. 

Your 'friends' are leeches. They don't care about the animals they have taken on, and while it breaks my heart to hear some may have perished, you simply cannot save the world. You can only help where you can, and what I don't think many people like your friends realize, is that helping yourself, providing for "you and yours" is the first step in helping your community. You have to be strong and stable and secure, so you can help others without becoming a victim or burden in the crisis, whatever it is.

I'm so very sorry for all you've experienced this last week and I hope you can pick up the pieces of your lives and those of your communities. We around the rest of the country are there and more coming, and sending our love, support, money and prayers.

Be strong, and don't let this incident with your friends get you down. They are really not friends at all, but you already know that.

Esteemed Contributor

I would have called the PD and animal rescue, reporting these "friends" for animal abuse.  In my state animal abuse is against the law and these offenders would be prosecuted. Perhaps, PD could also have rescued all this poor animals as they have vehicles that could handle the flooded roadways.

However, the people are scum and would not want to be friends with such selfish, lazy degenerates. Certainly would not regret losing their "friendship".

Respected Contributor

@madie  This whole situation saddened me.  These people (I can't bring myself to call them friends), particularly the husband, are trying to project their unfortunate circumstances onto you.  In my opinion, the husband is quite sadistic by making it a point in telling you about the outcome of the dog.  Perhaps I am misjudging them because they were dealing so much lack of planning anxiety.

Please know you and your husband were more than generous in your offer to help and try to not dwell on it.  Your were more than appropriate in your response to the husband. 

Honored Contributor

@madie  The loss of the dog is not on you.  I understand why you feel this way but the owner was responsible, not you.

You can't fix this; you did what you could do and turning it over to the owners was the only final step for you.

Take care.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Hi @madie.  I'm so sorry for everything you're going through.  You did nothing wrong.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

These "friends" are outrageous.  They expected you to risk your life?  They are nuts and if you can, don't give them a second thought. I don't think you have anything to feel guilty about. Sad for the loss of the pet, yes, but guilty, no! 

Feelings have a life of their own and I hope your guilt will be short-lived.