Respected Contributor

Friend of my granddaughters stole from me...a little girl!

So on Thursday my granddaughters get out of school early and we had planned for them to stay with me that night.  A friend of theirs begged and begged to come over with them her mom lives not too far from me.  Her mom is a single mom and my twin granddaughters have suspected her of having sticky fingers previously.  When she was over my granddaughter found one of their shirts in her backpack and took it out.

Well the next morning I went to get money out of my purse and my money was all gone!  I usually don't keep much cash but I had 200 dollars for a haircut coming up.  I text my daughter she knows the mother a little bit.  She text the mother and the mother called the girl at school (she has a new cellphone) and she confessed!

That night her grandmother brought her over to return the money and apologize the grandmother was livid which I would have been too.  I told the girl I hope you have learned a lesson, I did give her a hug she was being disciplined plenty it seemed.

I have never had a child steal from me when raising my kids or helping with my grandkids I am so appalled and obviously this girl is not allowed back.  My purse was sitting in a chair at the dining table and my wallet wasn't zipped up.  That morning I had taken a 20 out because my daughter was picking up a prescription for me.

I told the child if you are in need I would have helped you the grandmother said thats not it she just wanted to flash money around for attention.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Friend of my granddaughters stole from me...a little girl!

It sounds as if you handled it correctly on your end.

I am glad they made the girl come over and face you, admit what she did, and pay you back.

Questions I have:  How old is this girl?  The $200 she returned to you, was it the original money?  Did she use the money for the new cell phone?  Did the mother foot the $200?  

I realize these are things you have no control over, but it shows a desperate cry from this girl.  Not knowing right from wrong or that there are no repercussions for your actions is a bad road to start down.  I hope this mother realizes she has problems with this girl and makes it a priority to stay on top of it.

Will your granddaughters continue their friendship with her?

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

This whole story is sad.  Unless the girl receives follow up punishment a home, she will continue to steal.  You are wise to not have her in your home again, nor your granddaughters home.

Back in the 80's when my kids were in high school and junior high, I used to have their sports teams over, lots of times they would stay the night with us because I had a big van and would take the whole team.

On one of the occasions I had a vintage family diamond ring on my shelf in the kitchen by the sink.  It disappeared.  But it was too late when I discovered the theft to confront the teams.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

That would be very disturbing,  but I  would never leave or have I ever left  my purse out. I put mine  behind the recliner in my bedroom.  You never know when someone might show up.

Honored Contributor

There isn't much to say in a situation like this. Everyone handled the situation properly and you got your money back. Yes. Some kids steal just like some adults steal. Which is why I don't leave handbags, jewelry etc out in the open when people I don't know are in my home. You don't know the kid so I would not have used the "if you are in need" thing. She wasn't in need, she was in want and the opportunity was there so she took it.  Your daughter should discourage her girls from hanging around with that kid.  She's a thief and she's trouble.

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

It sounds as if you handled it correctly on your end.

I am glad they made the girl come over and face you, admit what she did, and pay you back.

Questions I have:  How old is this girl?  The $200 she returned to you, was it the original money?  Did she use the money for the new cell phone?  Did the mother foot the $200?  

I realize these are things you have no control over, but it shows a desperate cry from this girl.  Not knowing right from wrong or that there are no repercussions for your actions is a bad road to start down.  I hope this mother realizes she has problems with this girl and makes it a priority to stay on top of it.

Will your granddaughters continue their friendship with her?

She already had the phone.  My granddaughters are 11 so I assume she is 11 or 12.  My daughter said the mom works all the time, I think  the girl gets no attention, she said her sister had stole from them before.  Both girls have issues it seems.   My granddaughters probably won't continue I am not sure, one of my granddaugthers doesn't care for her at all.  She gave my one granddaughter that is more friends with her a letter to bring me apologizing and tried to hug my granddaughter and she refused.

I mentioned the phone because if the mom is struggeling so much with money its strange she has a phone.  

Honored Contributor

@spumoni99 @I sure hope her grandmother goes through her things. My guess is that she has been doing this awhile. 

Respected Contributor

My daughter definetely doesnt want them around her anymore. Once at her house she opened one of my daughters press on nail packages without asking and was attempting to use it and my daughter said hey those are mine what are you doing?  My granddaughter also said there was an empty iphone box, I just retired so had to turn in my work phone and buy my own phone and she said can I have this is this a phone and my granddaughter said NO!  Why would she need another phone???  Strange for sure.

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

This whole story is sad.  Unless the girl receives follow up punishment a home, she will continue to steal.  You are wise to not have her in your home again, nor your granddaughters home.

Back in the 80's when my kids were in high school and junior high, I used to have their sports teams over, lots of times they would stay the night with us because I had a big van and would take the whole team.

On one of the occasions I had a vintage family diamond ring on my shelf in the kitchen by the sink.  It disappeared.  But it was too late when I discovered the theft to confront the teams.

That is horrible!  I am so sorry.  Did you mention to the coach?  My daughter wanted me to open a police report and I said I just can't do that to a child.  When my brother was little he stole a candy bar from a neighborhood store and my mom made him return it, the store owner yelled at him and chased him out of the store, I didn't want to react that way.

My granddaughter is upset I hugged her she is upset with her!

Honored Contributor

I hope the child was so humiliated that this experience makes a lifetime impression on her.  I commend you for not letting her get away with it.

When my son was 5 or 6 years old he went with me to the drug store.  While I was waiting for a prescription, he took and slipped into his pocket a little matchbox car.

I discovered him playing with it when we got home.  He admitted to taking it.  We counted out the price of the car from funds from his piggy bank and went right back to the store where I asked for the manager.  I made Robert tell him what he'd done and give the manager his money.  He then got a stern warning on what can happen to little boys who steal.

Never had another incident of that type.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment