Honored Contributor

No matter what I do, I can NOT make fried chicken the way my grandma did. I think I'm afraid of the hot oil : (

However, I make a MEAN chicken and dumplin's, let me tell ya. In fact, I'm making it for dinner tonight!

Respected Contributor

Re: Fried chicken

[ Edited ]

My local supermarket has delicious hot fried chicken just waiting for me whenever I want it.  I am a horrendous cook.  I can't figure out when the chicken is done, so I always end up overcooking it until it's dried out.  We hear so much about salmonella these days, and I don't want to get that.

How does southern fried chicken differ from regular?  Being a Yankee, I don't think I've ever tasted southern food.

Honored Contributor

Yesterday I treated myself to my local grocer's Cheap Chicken Friday deal so I'll be in chicken heaven for a while.  I eat the dark meat pieces and wings pretty much skin and all but I do pull the skin off the breasts and make chicken salad out of them.  I have tried deep frying fish and it didn't go very well so deep frying chicken has been stricken from my list of things to try.

Honored Contributor

The only good fried chicken is cooked in a cast iron skilletWoman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

More chicken LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

...How does southern fried chicken differ from regular? ...

@Ms X

@Tinkrbl44

Lard maybe?

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I'm asking this question in all sincerity ....

Is there really any difference between "fried chicken" and  "southern fried chicken"?   If so, what ? 

Southern Fried Chicken....according to my late granny who made the best, must be

Cooked in a cast iron frying pan with Crisco on medium high heat...and it gets the perfect "scald" on it, which is the best southern fried taste....yum!

Esteemed Contributor

I love fried chicken.  I also love fried pork chops.  I use this recipe...try it.

Season pork chops with sea salt, pepper and garlic powder on both sides.  Must be garlic POWDER and not garlic salt.

Fry in canola oil. 

I use no flour....just fry like this and it is so good, it'll make a "bulldog hug a hound"!

Honored Contributor

I have my mother's recipe for fried chicken but haven't made it in years. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

Re: Fried chicken

[ Edited ]

Oh yes there is @Tinkrbl44 and it's called a well used/seasoned cast iron skillet!!! Learned that from my farm girl South Carolina mama.