Honored Contributor

Re: Freshman from Northern Virginia Found Dead after Fraternity Event

How tragic. This is the first I'm hearing about this but. . . 

=  Penn State 2017.

Honored Contributor

I think that if you choose to go to one of these events, you're pretty much agreeing to go up to the line of alcohol poisoning or beyond it. You can't really say no to drinking too much in a situation like that unless you want to be rejected by the fraternity. And to be accepted by the fraternity was the whole reason he was there. There's no, "oh I think I've had enough" in a situation like that.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Manslaughter at the very least!

These stupid fraternity rituals should be banned forever!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just horrible. I wish college kids knew to call for medical help if a person passes out from drugs or alcohol, or bumps into a tree hurting themselves, blindfolded, or otherwise.  

So many college kids are too afraid, seemingly, to call for help if it means they will be prosecuted for holding a party where students are drinking under age. Perhaps a law is needed to prevent criminal charges being filed against students who report that a student is drunk and in need of emergency medical help.  Sort of like what is in NJ to protect those who call for help for a person who has OD'd on narcotics.  

We need to help these unthinking, terrified kids do the right thing to save the life of a fellow human being.  I am getting tired of reading about these senseless tragedies.  

Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Let the weight shaming begin. Bless the family of this young man and may he RIP.

Well said @RetRN His weight should not be mentioned. This young man is gone forever, and his family has to figure out how to move forward. 

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

So very sad

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hazing that went too far?

Death has happened before during these events.

Some of the things members make freshman do during hazing is disgusting.  

Besides drinking a bottle of Jack Daniels and hitting his head, what else was he forced to do if he wanted to join this fraternity?  

Very sad for him and his family. 

Honored Contributor

I hate Greek life on campus. Period. 

I know there are some good ones, and some great people, but sorting through and monitoring it all is way more trouble than it is worth. I NEVER wanted to pledge when I was in college, and I would highly discourage any young adult from doing so. The stories my niece and nephew have to tell about their time as pledges is horrifying, and I really don't know why either one put up with it, other than many of these kids want so badly to belong and fit in. 

I'm glad I never needed that kind of validation. If it were up to me, they would be done away with totally. 

So sad for this young man and his family. 

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

Manslaughter at the very least!

@on the bay 

Who do you charge for that crime? Unless he was forced somehow, other than vocally, I have to assume he drank it on his own. I have no idea or details, but someone has to be indicted for a crime, and that would be?

hckynut 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)