Honored Contributor

Re: Freshman from Northern Virginia Found Dead after Fraternity Event

Let the weight shaming begin. Bless the family of this young man and may he RIP.

Honored Contributor

Why didn't they take him to the hospital?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

RetRN,

I hope I did not come across as a weight-shamer, and I did not interpret the other poster as suggesting that.  If you saw the baggage I carry, you would know that is not the case for me.

From my point of view, I was just accepting that as perhaps a contributing factor.  My hope is that the autopsy fully explains what happened.

Esteemed Contributor

People are always looking for someone or something to blame, unfortunately people do not always make the best choices in their life. Hope the parents can get some answers and find some pease.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Porcelain,

I wondered about that, too.  

The failure to do so the night before had much to do with the hard-headedness and general "innocence" of youth, I believe.

Part of the youth attitude:  Fear if something is wrong, there will be consequences to face; of course nothing is wrong, we are all young and healthy; we are having a good time, so let him sleep it off.

In general, young men are not quick to seek medical help.

Honored Contributor

@golding76, I was most definitely not being critical of your post. I always respect what you post here.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Why didn't they take him to the hospital?

@Porcelain , probably because they all were drinking, intoxicated, underage and kids don't like to call 911. When my son was in college he took an EMT course and he complained any time someone was sick, drunk or in a drug induced state, they called him to determine what to do on his floor. Kids hate calling in the police or an ambulance.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, RetRN.  That is very kind of you.

You most likely know that I have the same respect and admiration for you.

I just want to write this for anyone reading this post.  The main reason I posted this tragic news is that perhaps some parent, grandparent or sibling (or friend) might someday save the life of another fraternity pledge.

Remind them as they go out the door to enter this new life to take precautions and not to be intimidated into doing acts that they find unacceptable.

Also, if you are present at one of these events and notice someone who has been drinking alcohol or taking drugs fall into a deep sleep from which he (or she) cannot be awakened, call for medical help at once. 

Honored Contributor

There are many ways the young can kill themselves. Many have been around for many decades. Fortunately there is also more easily accessed info about all of them, and their dangers.

Why some youngsters feel the danger does not apply to them? I know I took my own risks when young, but none of them were forced on me by friends or something called a college Fraternity.

All youth deaths are sad for the family members they leave behind. As far as a Fraternity? I only know what some of my highly educated friends tell me, and seems like many paying big $$$ to go, spend as much time partying as they do studying.

Kids this age, or younger were fighting in WWII, were they smarter/or have more common sense, which was used? I ran with lots of young boys that drank, but I never touched alcohol until I was of legal age, 21. Why? Because I saw what it did to them.

Condolences to all his family, it is a very sad time for them, now and probably the rest of their lives.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I commend these posters for not letting this thread devolve over a slight misunderstanding of intentions.