Honored Contributor

Re: Fresh Prince Mom goes off on Jada

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Dell1 wrote:

@qvcaddition there were no nominations for Black actors or directors for the 2015 Academy Awards.

Here is a link.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2015/01/15/oscars-2015-no-nominations-for-a-single-a...

And...?  

So what, should there be a quota, whether nominations are deserved or not...?

@stevieb

Someone claimed there was, Dell is correcting their error.  I'm sure you approve of accurate data.

Honored Contributor

It's not new that the Smiths, both Mr and Mrs, believe that they are extremely influential in areas to include film and for some reason, mainstream daily life. One or the other is always spouting off about something.  No one has been as impressed with them as the Smiths believe all should be up until now, so don't see why the latest crusade should merit more attention.

As others have said, African Americans are X percentage of the US population, X percent of revenue from films. There is no obligation by a business (movies are a business) to spend a 40% figure on a 20% population number (percentages approximate and for illustration only).

There is no obligation to fulfill the same relative numbers for Hispanic, Asian or female populations, as have all done protests against Hollywood.

Hollywood does what makes it the greatest profit. It isn't about social conscience except by individuals who might choose to make niche films, which is is great and to be applauded but is not mandatory, contrary to the Smiths beliefs.

The Oscar broadcast has been one big yawn for several years now. I doubt that whoever doesn't show up will matter a whit to 98% of those who still give any kind of...darn.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I haven't watched the Oscars in years. It used to be glamour and elegance. Now it's just boobs and air heads. There has to be a better way to celebrate talent. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Trusted Contributor

@akaburtonfan wrote:

I don't pay any attention to any of these award shows. It sounds to me like thay want affirmative action when giving out these awards. 

Maybe the problem stems from too few films/roles for people of color. If you have less films/roles then you're going to have less awards -- simple as that. 

Rather than boycott the show why don't the Smiths start producing films that would create more rolls for people of color. (Forgive me if they already do -- as I said I'm not into movies and who is in them or making them)

BINGO

BINGO

BINGO

They only produce for themselves.  The issue of diversity comes up EVERY YEAR at the awards show.

Boycot the awards show, insult all the HANDS THAT FEED YOU while you are at - they are just ignoring you anyway. The powers that are in charge will just cast you when they have a part because people of color want the part.  They will forget ALL OF THE BOYCOTTING.  

As a side note - the negative remarks directed towards Salvestor Stallone.  MANY PEOPLE went to that movie JUST TO SEE HIM.  Get over it.

Esteemed Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

African-Americans make up 13.2 percent of the US population according to the figures as I remember them.  I saw it somewhere recently.  I wonder what percent of the movie actors they make up.  Anyone know?

Good question! I just did a quick Google. The Bunche Report from 2011 says that 10.5% of film actors are minorities. More research needed . . .

There are about 6000 members in the academy only 2% are minorities. That is only 120 people. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Awards

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I've yet to hear from any of the boycotters who they would un-nominate and nominate in their place.  Until I do, they have no merit in my opinion.  Like someone else said, performance not appearance based awards.  

Ruining the current nominees' joy and interrupting their media spotlights in what for most of them will probably be a once in a lifetime experience just to run a personal agenda this year is absolutely wrong and the epitome of selfishness. You don't eclipse someone else's moment because you weren't specifically invited to join in.    

If most of these people cared so much, they'd boycott Hollywood year round not when the most media is going to be in town.  I usually don't watch the Oscars because I'm not a big movie person but if Chris Rock breaks out his Progess of Black People chart again, I may have to make an exception.       

Well said !

Esteemed Contributor

I love that Shonda Rhimes has brought diversity to her shows and casting. There are many films and series where a more diverse cast could/should be given roles as most parts aren't racial or ethnicity specific.

I applaud those who start a discussion, whether you're a Jada-fan or not.

Honored Contributor

ABC strives for diversity.  There have been several shows lately with Asians, a much overlooked group in the past.

Trusted Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

I think it has been evident in some years that the Oscar "establishment" has a bent toward a certain kind of movie and they don't stray very far from that. For years they ignored anything Steven Speilberg did. They have recently actually looked at films with minority actors and minority themes. They are shallow in recognizeing other minorities in film besides blacks as well. There is also the possibility that the actors they chose put in better performances. Who knows.  I haven't seen any of the movies yet. I have also heard it discussed that some who are part of the academy didn't even see all of the movies, but voted based on what someone else told them about the movies. I'd just like to say to Jada Pinkett, though, that by boycotting the Oscars, she is also boycotting Chris Rock, black comedian, who was chosen to emcee the event. Perhaps there are other ways more productive that she could effect changes, starting on the inside with the voting processes and requirements of the academy. Surely she knows people on the board.

... Steven Speilberg was ignored again ... THAT came up the hours after the nom's where made.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@MaggieMack wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

African-Americans make up 13.2 percent of the US population according to the figures as I remember them.  I saw it somewhere recently.  I wonder what percent of the movie actors they make up.  Anyone know?

Good question! I just did a quick Google. The Bunche Report from 2011 says that 10.5% of film actors are minorities. More research needed . . .

There are about 6000 members in the academy only 2% are minorities. That is only 120 people. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Awards

"Members of the Academy" are a different group than those that "appear in film." Becoming a member of the "Academy" has its own set of rules.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop