Esteemed Contributor

Re: Fresh Prince Mom goes off on Jada

Dell1 Sorry must be thinking of themovie Oprah was in THE BUTLER. One year is so close to he other.  The COLOR PURPLE, WHOOPI WON THEN. DENZEL GOT CECIL B DR MILLE GG.  T. HANSEN FOR EMPIRE..  TERRANCE HOWARD IN THE PAST.   Halley Berry in the past.  I remember DOROTHY DANRIDGE and HATTIE McDANIEL YES I AM THAT OLD.  Are they going to nominate A WHITE PERSON AT THE BET AWARDS?  I still say, JPS wants to to stir up stuff  for her 15 min of fame.  IMHO.

Valued Contributor

@croemer wrote:

But there has been many in the last..what...10 years. It should be based on the best...that year.

croemer, I brought up last year's nominees because qvcaddiction stated there were lots of Black nominees at last year's Oscars.  I am not arguing the point about whether some should have been nominated this year or not.

Valued Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

Dell1 Sorry must be thinking of the movie Oprah was in THE BUTLER. One year is so close to he other.  The COLOR PURPLE, WHOOPI WON THEN. DENZEL GOT CECIL B DR MILLE GG.  T. HANSEN FOR EMPIRE..  TERRANCE HOWARD IN THE PAST.   Halley Berry in the past.  I remember DOROTHY DANRIDGE and HATTIE McDANIEL YES I AM THAT OLD.  Are they going to nominate A WHITE PERSON AT THE BET AWARDS?  I still say, JPS wants to to stir up stuff  for her 15 min of fame.  IMHO.

@qvcaddition, You are right there have been people of color nominated in the past.  I am not stating one should have been nominated for the 2016 Oscars.  But when the news sites mentioned that there was no one nominated this year I remember this being a topic of discussion last year.  I was surprised last year that no one was nominated for the movie, Selma.  And yes I am that old too.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

My bad, I forgot we are in 2016.  Look up 2014.  Maybe WILL Smith WASN,t good enough.  I DIDN,t see picture.  It just seems we are having protest and IMO this one is stupid.

Honored Contributor

@Dell1 wrote:

@croemer wrote:

But there has been many in the last..what...10 years. It should be based on the best...that year.

croemer, I brought up last year's nominees because qvcaddiction stated there were lots of Black nominees at last year's Oscars.  I am not arguing the point about whether some should have been nominated this year or not.

TY Dell 1, now I get it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't pay any attention to any of these award shows. It sounds to me like thay want affirmative action when giving out these awards. 

Maybe the problem stems from too few films/roles for people of color. If you have less films/roles then you're going to have less awards -- simple as that. 

Rather than boycott the show why don't the Smiths start producing films that would create more rolls for people of color. (Forgive me if they already do -- as I said I'm not into movies and who is in them or making them)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My reply comes from my 16 year olds' best friend:

"Sometimes I wonder if I was really  THAT GOOD or if I received the *award* because I'm black".

His concern says so much; and he's a TEENAGER. Seems he's way smarter than most adults right now.

Also, why hasn't Chris Rock chosen to boycott; after all, he's HOSTING the awards......

Hmm.

Honored Contributor

I've yet to hear from any of the boycotters who they would un-nominate and nominate in their place.  Until I do, they have no merit in my opinion.  Like someone else said, performance not appearance based awards.  

Ruining the current nominees' joy and interrupting their media spotlights in what for most of them will probably be a once in a lifetime experience just to run a personal agenda this year is absolutely wrong and the epitome of selfishness. You don't eclipse someone else's moment because you weren't specifically invited to join in.    

If most of these people cared so much, they'd boycott Hollywood year round not when the most media is going to be in town.  I usually don't watch the Oscars because I'm not a big movie person but if Chris Rock breaks out his Progess of Black People chart again, I may have to make an exception.       

Trusted Contributor

@croemer wrote:

WHAT????? Something that makes sense? Surely that can't be right.

On The View today Whoopie was just so mad she got into a fight with another co-host and told people not to email her or text her cause she just doesn't care.

Whoopie was complaining that no black actors are given parts. Huh? Since when? Didn't 12 years a slave win many awards? She makes no sense at all. If a movie is a biographical or semibiographical movie say about someone like Erin Brockovich, would she demand a black actress get the part? I just don't understand these comments.

Michelle brought up movies made last year that didn't get nominated like Straight Outta Compton. that is an all black cast. Yet, are any of those actors in the same league or have the same credentials as some of the nominated actors like Leo? He's paid his dues over and over and still hasn;t won, yet how many people even heard of the actors in this movie?  Don't they have to earn it too? 

Remember when Marlon Brando boycotted the awards and sent Sacheen Littlefeather in his place? He got roundly booed for that. Nowadays people boycotting to make a stand, get applauded. How times have changed. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Respected Contributor

Oh boo hoo.  I am so over the Smiths.  I won't support anything they do.