Esteemed Contributor

Re: Fresh Prince Mom goes off on Jada

Simple!...Everything is just getting so totally out of control and it is being deliberately incited "behind the scenes"...not just in Hollywood!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Dell1 wrote:

@qvcaddition there were no nominations for Black actors or directors for the 2015 Academy Awards.

Here is a link.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2015/01/15/oscars-2015-no-nominations-for-a-single-a...

And...?  

So what, should there be a quota, whether nominations are deserved or not...?

@stevieb

Someone claimed there was, Dell is correcting their error.  I'm sure you approve of accurate data.

@Noel7...  Thanks for the correction. Teach me to read out of order and out of context... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@60sgirl wrote:

I guess what bothers me the most is that around 30 people got murdered in Burkina Faso and no one cared about that, yet here are some spoiled multi millionaires who lack nothing and they get up in arms about not getting nominated. 

I think people just lose all perspective these days on what really matters. The Smiths live better than the majority of people here in the States, can't even imagine the comparison to those who live in impoverished nations. 

Jada Pinkett Smith is from BALTIMORE - where was her cries for peace and financial assistance when Baltimore was burning ?  Where is she with her millions and millions to help the Baltimore poor ?  

She split the scene and I do not recall hearing anything about her helping her Home Town.

Baltimore is going down the crapper.  Nobody wants to book hotels or plan trips to the city due to the Freddie Gray trials.  The DA is being sued for illegally firing 6 people in the DA office ... and now it looks like the charges against the Officers are falling apart.  Itsa mess !

Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

Spike Lee is a sincere person.  When he protests I think more people take the cause to heart.  Jada, not so much.  She comes across to me as not only insincere in anything she does, but she is always in it for the bucks.  At least that has been her mode of operation for years.  But hey, people change.JMHOI

Last November, the filmmaker Spike Lee was given an honorary Oscar at the Academy’s annual Governor’s Ball. In his speech, he recalled the early days of his career and riffed on his love of cinema, but he also firmly and powerfully took his industry to task for its lack of opportunities and recognition for people of color. “We need to have a serious discussion about diversity,” he said. “It’s easier to be the president of the United States as a black person than to be head of a studio, or be head of a network.”

On Monday, after the Oscars nominated an all-white slate of actors for the second year running, Lee took things a step further by saying he wouldn’t attend February’s Oscars, where honorary winners usually appear, in protest.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/01/can-a-boycott-change-the-oscars/424593/

Good - keep your pity party at home.

Trusted Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

African-Americans make up 13.2 percent of the US population according to the figures as I remember them.  I saw it somewhere recently.  I wonder what percent of the movie actors they make up.  Anyone know?

Good question! I just did a quick Google. The Bunche Report from 2011 says that 10.5% of film actors are minorities. More research needed . . .

Thanks for investigating !

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Solve the problem.... and do away with all the acting award shows. What a bunch of deprecating, overpaid snobs. Donate all the unused money usually used to put on the pomp show... and give it to the poor. I'll bet they wouldn't complain.

Maybe they should televise an award show for people who truly deserve an award.... Teachers, nurses, doctors, volunteers, people who create jobs, help the poor ....You know real people who make difference in this world.

Esteemed Contributor

Let me tell you a true story.

A few years ago Will Smith came to Humboldt to film the movie, "After Earth".

He arrived by private plane and had a limo waiting for him steps away from the plane. He was VERY snobbish. He couldn't have been bothered with us locals. We were beneath him.

Last year Daniel Radcliffe came up here to film a movie. He flew United (our one and only airline). He was spotted having a late night meal at Denny's.

He happily took pictures with a fan. 

On they day that he flew out, he was happily signing autographs.

Now normally, when I see a famous person, I leave them be, as do majority of the people around here. But, since he was handing out autographs like lollipops, I decided to get one too. So I took a pen and a piece of paper, and I went up to him, and I politely asked him if I may have his autograph too?

He asked me for my name, and I told him. He wrote, "To Plaid Pants love from Daniel Radcliffe".

Will came across as entitled, Daniel didn't.

Super Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

It's a darned shame that nominees for an artistic award ignored all minorities in the acting categories. It is very difficult to judge artistic creations but to have nobody who acted in some amazing films ignored makes one wonder. The vast majority of voters are white males. I think they did not set out to discriminate against minorites. However, they apparently ignored performances of minority actors. 

The arts cannot distribute awards based on calculations determined by race. Nevertheless, totally ignoring spectacular performances of minority actors in excellent movies cannot be ignored. The nominating committee needs to reflect representation in the film industry. Having over 90 percent white males ignores the contributions of women and minorities. It's time for the academy to enter the 21st century.

I Totally Agree! When race, politics or religion is involved and depending on who is in the minority.... opinions differ. One cannot see through others eyes or experiences.

Esteemed Contributor

Reading this thread kind of validates Jada's and Spike Lee's feelings .
Respected Contributor

I cannot believe Jada Smith is giving up an opportunity to show off her body and talk for her husband on the Red Carpet.  The poor guy seldom gets a word in when she's around.