Respected Contributor

Re: Fresh Prince Mom goes off on Jada

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

i was driving home from work this afternoon and they were discussing this on a local talk radio show. did i hear correctly? the academy is 93% white, 76% male......with around 6000 voting members? if those figures are correct then something probably DOES need to change.

So should the Academy go out and recruit black actors, making sure the majority are female black actors?  

I'm sorry but the whole thing stinks of a way to garner publicity for an actor whose movie wasn't good enough to warrant it any other way.

Edited to correct a dag-gone typo. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

I'm still laughing from Janet Huber's line that she was only concerned with one Oscar, Oscar Meyer!  LOL

That's a great line Janet Huber!  Woman LOL

Valued Contributor

@Dell1 wrote:

@qvcaddition there were no nominations for Black actors or directors for the 2015 Academy Awards.

Here is a link.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2015/01/15/oscars-2015-no-nominations-for-a-single-a...

So What? Why is everything seen as racist now?? Perhaps the academy didn't think any of the performances worthy this year. Are people supposed to be nominated just because of their race or ethnicity now?

Trusted Contributor

The Oscars have been around for years. They are always full of surprises. Some win we like. Some don't who we feel should have been nominated. It's always been that way and you think oh well. This country is trying to be so politically correct. At times you have to be afraid to express your opinion because  If you say the wrong thing a big discussion on why,what was the reason who was she insulting? It was innocent but people turn it into a circus. It is what it is there are good actors and great actors and I guess the academy knows best. It sounds like to me sour grapes because her husband wasn't nominated.  I sure don't care! 

Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i was driving home from work this afternoon and they were discussing this on a local talk radio show. did i hear correctly? the academy is 93% white, 76% male......with around 6000 voting members? if those figures are correct then something probably DOES need to change.

then I wonder how the President of the Academy is black? Higher honor than an Oscar one would think.

If good movies are made and excellent performances are had, then all people will have a chance to win, didn't hear anyone crying when Halle Berry won an Oscar going up against Dame Judi Dench, Siss Spacek, Nicole Kidman and Renee Zellweger.

And who won for male that year? Uh, Denzel Washington against Russell Crowe (brilliant acting in Brilliant Mind), Sean Penn (another great job in I Am Sam), Will Smith in Ali, and Tom Wilkinson.

Both lead roles went to black actors, no one crying about that. Moral is: if you are in a good movie and do a good job, you can win. Concussion was a low budget movie and not a lot of press, did not get great reviews, yet Jada thinks Will should be nominated for it? 

here's just one review:

Concussion, which stars Will Smith as a doctor troubled by findings in an autopsy of a former pro-football player, llacks the exciting filmmaking that rises to the level of its outrageous topic.

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

So should the Academy go out and recruit black actors, making sure the majority are female black actors?  

I'm sorry but the whole think stinks of a way to garner publicity for an actor whose movie wasn't good enough to warrant it any other way.

well, you cant just "recruit"......there are other rules that need to be followed.

From Academy Bylaws:

Article III, Section 1.  Membership shall be by invitation of the Board of Governors.  Invitations to active membership shall be limited to those persons active in the motion picture arts and sciences, or credited with screen achievements, or who have otherwise achieved distinction in the motion picture arts and sciences and who, in the opinion of the Board, are qualified for membership.

To be considered for invitation to membership in the Actors Branch of the Academy, an individual must:

(a)  have a minimum of three theatrical feature film credits, in all of which the roles played were scripted roles, one of which was released in the past five years, and all of which are of a caliber that reflect the high standards of the Academy,

and/or

(b)  have been nominated for an Academy Award in one of the acting categories,

or

(c) have, in the judgment of the Actors Branch Executive Committee, otherwise achieved unique distinction, earned special merit or made an outstanding contribution as a motion picture actor.

http://www.oscars.org/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I sympathize with her issues, but I feel the timing and the "boycott" serve only to poison the waters, unfortunately.

Esteemed Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

JP - Don't bite the hand that (literally) feeds you.  Take your MILLIONS, be happy, and just Go. Away.

------------------------------------------

I would say...just go away!!  Her boycott smells of "sour grapes" that her hubby did not get a nomination!

Regular Contributor

What I think may have happened is that last year David Oyelowo was snubbed and there was a legitimate outcry so this year they probably didn't want to seem like they were pressured to nominate a less deserving performance. I didn't see Will Smith's movie so maybe his performance was just as good. I thought he was really good as Ali but was he nominated?? not sure. I didn't understand Whoopi's point. I think Will did produce this film and others so why is she saying they should get more involved during the year in getting movies made with diversified roles?? I loved Julie Chen's joke that their son played the Karate Kid and shouldn't that role have gone to an Asian?? 

Frequent Contributor

I'm quite surprised this thread has not been removed!