Honored Contributor

Re: Fresh Corn...Why white and not yellow?

@SydneyH wrote:

Maybe it's easier or cheaper to grow?

I'm sure some of it is due to what varities grow well in certain areas and mature at certain times.  That is a huge part of farming and making some money.  Most years. . . 

Respected Contributor

I prefer "sweet corn" (white kernels) but can only find yellow in SE Florida, so far this season. 

They're both good, but the early SE sweet corn to me is ambrosia.  This is the only time of year I eat corn at all; it's the only time of year it is fresh where I live.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@BirkiLady

How funny!

The corn my DH was eating WAS just for feed.  It seems there are two kinds -- and they only raised the feed type, not the eating corn.

I've just never been fond of it, but I think it is one of the most popular summer treats.

The Amish farmers at our local farmers' market sell bushels at a time -- mostly the white variety.  People often fix it when they are steaming crabs.

Actually you can eat at least some varities of corn grown for feed.  You just eat them when they are younger and the kernals are smaller and not matured.  They are not as sweet as corn grown to be eaten, but are still very good.

When I was young an uncle had an actual corn crib.  The feed corn was left to grow to maturity and only picked when it had started to dry, stored in the crib (a building about 10 x 10 with some airflow, and allowed to dry then fed all winter to various animals.  When the guys went out hunting they would stop and get some of the dried corn on the cob, put it in their jacket pockets and then chew on some during the day for a snack.  Sort of like harder corn nuts!  

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Witchy Woman  I'll eat an ear of sweet corn once and a while. Still don't like corn very often. Cannot imagine having a meal with a serving of plain corn. It's the most unappetizing vegetable ever and for some reason, is usually served with beef (or worse yet, fried chicken) and mashed potatoes. Such an boring, bland serving of food (when plated) to me. I certainly don't eat anything fried as a diabetic and potatoes are also on the do not eat list also. (Seems like corn might also be on that same list. I don't remember.) Anyway, give me color when serving food!! I like an appetizing selection. 

I can make a meal of fresh corn any day!  I absolutely love it!  It is one of God's best miracles to me!  

Esteemed Contributor

Florida growers produce sweet and field corns throughout many areas of the state. Sweet corn is grown mostly for fresh market. It is a >$100 million industry annually with the majority of production (in excess of 30,000 acres) in south Florida. 

A strong sweet corn breeding program maintained by the University of Florida since the late 1940's has provided the genetic background for many of the sweet corn varieties grown in Florida.

In south Florida, sweet corn is grown September through May, often with the Everglades area out of production during part of December and January. Production proceeds into central and northern areas with the increased temperatures of spring and summer.

We have fresh corn most of the year!  Publix carries it fresh in the husks and shucked and packaged.

Honored Contributor

I  prefer eating the  white popcorn.

Honored Contributor

East Coast here and plenty of yellow corn.  

I only buy organic and can never find white corn except frozen and mixed w/yellow.

Trader Joe's always has ears of yellow that's promised to be non GMO.  (Huge for me.)

Respected Contributor

Living in WI, it’s all about bi-color corn here.

Honored Contributor

I love corn on the cob no matter white, yellow and both. Barely cooked or not cooked at all if just picked, it is the best tasting vegetable.

Respected Contributor

Here in PA, corn usually comes in season in August. We prefer Silver Queen, the white kernels are smaller and sweeter.  Not unusual for us to buy it fresh picked each morning at a local farm stand and have corn on the cob almost every evening for about 2-3 weeks. Then it’s gone till next year. 

I used to buy enough to freeze so we could enjoy it all winter. Might start doing that again this year if I have the time.