Trusted Contributor

Freedom Care or similar Medicaid program

I keep seeing TV commercials about this. It sounds like if you need care you can choose a friend or relative & they will be paid. Anybody have experience with this? Just curious if it’s an hourly rate or how it works. If you have any info I would appreciate it. TIA.

Honored Contributor

Re: Freedom Care or similar Medicaid program

Why don't you call Freedom Care and ask them?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

It's called consumer directed care. Medicaid pays your assistant an hourly wage to administer your care plan. Your assistant agreed to this and has to do certain trainings and background check.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

At first I couldn’t get any info off their website until I provided contact info. I really didn’t want to do that at this point, However I did a different search and was able to get more info including FAQ’s that answered some of my questions.

But I would still be interested in hearing if anyone has any experience using this or a similar program.

Valued Contributor

In California they call it IHSS, which stands for. In home supportive services. 

Frequent Contributor

Hi Tribefan,

I"m a social worker and am familiar with Medicaid and what's called

Consumer Directed Personal Assistance (that's what it's called in NY)

If you live in NY I could forward you some specific info..

Kim

@Tribesters wrote:

I keep seeing TV commercials about this. It sounds like if you need care you can choose a friend or relative & they will be paid. Anybody have experience with this? Just curious if it’s an hourly rate or how it works. If you have any info I would appreciate it. TIA.