Trusted Contributor

Re: Free Community College - Good Idea? Bad Idea?

On 1/9/2015 terrier3 said:
On 1/9/2015 brii said:

Again, what do you do after your free two years of community college?

Take those credits and get a four year degree at a state university - or maybe even a higher degree.

You can work p/t when a community college and get a head start on university costs.

It's a hand UP.

Given the drop out rates, and getting degrees in worthless subjects, the problem still hasn't been solved.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Contributor

I remember when CC was free in CA for CA residents. I think it is a good idea with stipulations. My prerequistes for a free CC education would be maintaining a certain GPA in HS, a certain score on the SAT and a letter from a counselor indicating that the student would be a good candidate.

I agree that the CC system is currently overloaded. Students cannot get classes and for those who are trying to use the CC system as a stepping stone to a 4 year University cannot get their AA within 2 years. Those students who are wasting time and taking up space need to be weeded out.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/9/2015 blahblahvampemerblah said:
On 1/9/2015 brii said:

Again, what do you do after your free two years of community college?

Exactly. Unless you're being trained with a needed skill, it was a waste.

I sat in on a college course for a story I was doing. The class had 24 students. At least 15 of them sat in the last row texting friends during the class. They never answered questions, they did poorly on exams, but still managed to "pass" the course. I talked to the instructor about it and she said "well, I guess when your parents are paying for you to go to school trying to find something for them to do, they really don't even care about what they are learning". Imagine how much better it would be if the government paid for that education.

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Trusted Contributor

Mediocre public education for everyone! Pre-K through communty college. And no doubt many of the graduates would come out still barely able to read or reason. The President says "everyone willing to work for it" should be able to get a college education. IMO, not everyone desires, needs, or is suited for a college education. The world needs plumbers, auto mechanics, massage therapists, construction workers, and clerical workers as well as professional employees. And people willing to work for a college education can already get one -- by working for it!

Truly, some are trying to create a society where the government is looked to to provide everything. Pathetic. And unsustainable.

Super Contributor

Good Idea/Bad Idea

Democrat/Republican

Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 GoodStuff said:

Mediocre public education for everyone! Pre-K through communty college. And no doubt many of the graduates would come out still barely able to read or reason. The President says "everyone willing to work for it" should be able to get a college education. IMO, not everyone desires, needs, or is suited for a college education. The world needs plumbers, auto mechanics, massage therapists, construction workers, and clerical workers as well as professional employees. And people willing to work for a college education can already get one -- by working for it!

Truly, some are trying to create a society where the government is looked to to provide everything. Pathetic. And unsustainable.

Our local CC has courses in HVAC, Auto Mechanics, drafting, etc. - all necessary education for the jobs you described.

BTW - getting licensed in message therapy is expensive!!!

Super Contributor

I admit I'm a little nervous about my son that is heading off to college next Fall, while he's taken AP classes all throughout high school and make A's . . . I'm not so sure he is fully prepared for pursuing a degree in Aeronautical Engineering . . . my daughter is at same University he is headed to . . . and all the kids I know who are super super smart . . . some of those advanced classes kick even their butts and they study extremely hard.

The K-12 schools are doing the students ZERO favors, and society in general, by watering down K-12.

That is where the problem begins.

And many don't make it to college graduation.

Many don't make it to see the next day . . . they skate through high school and then commit suicide in college. I don't know the statistics . . . but I can name four. That is four too many in just my very small circle of life in the World. And one was a National Merit Scholarship winner.

Throwing more money at this problem is not going to fix it. I can pretty much with confidence say that with 99% certainty.

edit typo

Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Georgie the 5th said:

Good Idea/Bad Idea

Democrat/Republican

Never used to be that way!

Ex.: Eisenhower presided over one of the biggest public works program - national highways.

Honored Contributor

CoolThe idea originally started in Tennessee was by a Republican, wasn't it?

Honored Contributor

Yes, sometimes/often those two year community colleges are linked to local industries (food, medical, etc.) and those conscientious students end up with fabulous careers that they enjoy, and weren't 'pushed into'. Sometimes parents have in their minds grand professions for their kids, and sometimes the kids aren't really interested in those careers; but as long as mom and dad are paying for their educations, they simply 'go along with the flow'. (Not always, BTW).

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).